Sunday, August 12, 2012

Know who you are and what you want...

August 5, 2012

Phew!  It is double ugly hot outside.  In Texas, August is typically our month of extreme heat.  It's just thirty days but those thirty days seem long and searing.  It's a time of getting up early ... a time of iced drinks ... a time to slow down and enjoy inside projects.


Madison, Angie, Miss Dottie

Time with my fifteen year old granddaughter, Madison, has been special.  All too soon, she will be climbing on the plane to head back to Florida.  I hope that she has enjoyed her time here with her Texas family.  We've had this "thing" going on ... I would ask her what she wanted to do or what she wanted to eat and she would say, "Whatever is fine."  I told her "whatever" wasn't fine.  I really meant what I said when I asked her a question.  Now she laughs at me and says, "Oh, I know ... I need to make a decision."  I like it even when (I think) her reply isn't what I would say or pick.  I love seeing the brightness of her eyes as she forges ahead!

It's so important that we know who we are, what we stand for, and what we want.  To be someone that someone else wanted me to be cost me years of joyful living.  I was afraid of being chastised so I wimped out ... I let the strong willed people of this world rule my life.  One night in the Fall of 1979 I broke ... "No more ... no more."  The smallest decisions were tough because I was afraid of making the wrong choice.  I shook when I started standing up for myself.  I always measured my choices (at least most of them) with how they would affect my relationship with others.

Funny how life shapes us ... A long time ago, I dated a young man who gave me the book, Gift from the Sea, written by Anne Morrow Lindbergh.  I think he saw more in me than I saw in myself.  To him, I was bright, beautiful, an amazing conversationalist, and a leader.  To me, I was a rather shy seventeen year old, who loved deep philosophical conversations ... my world was so small ... mostly within a 30 mile radius of Glenwood, MN.  He challenged me to find my passion in life and come out of my shell.  What a journey it's been ... seasons of life have brought different passions and I am no longer afraid to voice my "real" opinion.  If you ask me a question, you can be sure that the answer I give you will be my own!

I've taken some time to decide what I stand for ... light, truth, my Lord.  I stand up for the rights of animals, children, and my family.  You can call me stodgy and old fashioned if you like ... I am an ethical and moral woman who has experienced enough of life to know that unethical and immoral behavior ends in ruin.  I take the high road when it's easier to follow the crowd.  I love to laugh and have fun enjoying each day as a new adventure.  I keep my slate clean and sleep soundly at night.  Now, that's not so bad is it??

If I could wave my magic wand over my Readers and family, my prayer would be that all of you would discover your core, the yearnings of your heart, and move towards those each day.  Don't be afraid; you might just be surprised at what has been laying dormant just waiting to be unearthed!!  Romans 8:31 says, "...If God is for us, who can be against us?" 


On that note, I will sign off.  Madison and I have places to go and people to meet!!

Miss Dottie


 

 

1 comment:

  1. What a gift you gave me (and Madison) with opening your heart and home to her for a few weeks. It made a positive impact on my relationship with her and I will be forever grateful to you!!

    XXOO~
    Jane

    ReplyDelete