Thursday, August 16, 2012

Reach up, then out...

Come on in!
August 16, 2012

Good Morning, Readers!  Come on over to Franklin Street and let's chat awhile.  I've left the door open for you!! I trust that you had a good night's sleep.  My dogren were up at the crack of dawn for their early morning trip outside.  I stood in the door of the cottage drinking in the freshness of the cool air.  Is it possible that Fall is just around the corner?  I decided to put some coffee on and pull a few weeds in the garden.  I haven't felt much like being out in the sweltering heat so it was a welcome change.

Yesterday, I spent most of my day ministering to Mom as she went through a long battery of tests.  As caregivers know, tending to the elderly and/or disabled loved ones can be draining no matter how much we love them.  Maybe it's just that we selfishly wish they were back to their old selves?  On the flip side, I realize how much I love Mom and WANT to give to her and tend to her needs.  She makes me a less selfish person and I like that!  As I reach up to the Lord for patience, an extra measure of love and empathy, and tenderness, I am able to reach out to her.  If I don't fill myself first, I am overwhelmed with my duties as a faithful daughter.  She always asks me why I am so good to her and I tell her, "I am able to love you because Christ loved me first."

Several times in my life, people have told me that I am very predictable.  I guess that could be bad or good depending on what is meant.  Reaching up before reaching out is a predictable part of my day.  I love to start my day with a steaming hot cup of coffee followed by a Coke Zero and breakfast.  I reached that ah ha moment when I stepped on the scale last week so I am counting calories.  I am bummed that I have had to cut out my big bowl of ice cream every day but that's a small price to pay for getting into my Fall clothes!!  Five pounds down this week.  Yea!!!!  My diet is predictable:  1200 calories per day.

Most days, you could predict that I could be found either on the back patio or in the cottage, reading my Bible, praying, and filling myself with good stuff to start my day.  If there are things I need to do, I make a note of them as to not forget.  I text my kids to tell them that I love them and am thinking of them.  My voice via text is a familiar predictable sight on their phones.  Some habits are good ones and I know which ones are important.

What happens when I don't reach up before I reach out?  STRESS!!!!  After a week (sometimes less), I get more "self" centered and crabby ... I complain and feel put upon.  My view of the world is darker and I get more accepting of the world's way of doing things.  The old tapes in my head start to unwind and I start replaying the muck and mire.  Resentments rear their ugly heads and I become more self absorbed about who did what to me.  All of a sudden, I don't like me anymore and I retreat into my cave of darkness to lick my wounds.

Does that sound like a good place to be?  Not for me.  I have to manage my life by being more aware and predictable in my good habits.  You can call it a crutch, I suppose, but without putting God first in my life, I am a mess.  I am a disabled person myself you see ... I need a crutch to help me walk straight and not fall.  I need the indwelling of the Holy Spirit so that I am able to forgive myself and others past, present, and future.  I need that spiritual truth about myself realizing that I need to keep my slates clean and make amends where necessary.  My crutch keeps me balanced.  I look at having a crutch in a good way ... how about you?

This morning as I reached up, I stopped mid sentence and looked out the french doors.  What had started as a rather dark morning, had given way to sunlight.  All of a sudden, I felt this overwhelming sense of peace and well-being.  I knew that God was in control and that whatever would transpire this day I would be able to handle.  How does one describe joy?  It's more than just a feeling of giddiness, that's for sure.  For me, it's knowing that while I tend to my day, God has a big picture in mind.  If I just lean on Him, everything is going to be okay.

I have journeyed through the Bible to Lamentations.  Today's reading was so awesome.  If you don't read your Bible, I would encourage you to do so.  It is a best seller worth reading -- over and over.  You won't be bored, for sure!



It is easy to be generous when your bank account is full.  The real test comes when your bank account is dwindling and you see a need.  What then?  Do you reach up then out?  Let's all meditate on that one today!

My goodness, it's nearly noon.  It's time that I got busy and used some of my energy and joy!!  I have miles to go before I sleep.  Don't forget, Readers -- you are loved and prayed for ... YA YOU!!  That's predictable AND a given!!

Miss Dottie

"Great is his faithfulness; his lovingkindness begins afresh each day.  My soul claims the Lord as my inheritance; therefore, I will hope in him."
Lamentations 3:23-24


1 comment:

  1. Predictability is a blessing...unless someone is trying to say you are boring, which isn't very nice. I enjoy knowing what my family likes, dislikes, hates, and what makes them smile. For Madison it is food. Make her a plate of almost anything and she'll be joyful the whole day. Katrina loves one on one time. Last night she and I made s silly video and she laughed hysterically (so did I). I could go on and on. If my family were unpredictable it would be frustrating not knowing how to show them love. Thanks for a wonderful blog.

    XXOO~
    Jane

    ReplyDelete