Thursday, August 16, 2012

One day at a time...

"Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.” Matthew 11:28-30


August 15, 2012

Hi, Readers!  I'm glad that this day is coming to a close.  I am absolutely drained and tired to the bone.  I just took a sudsy bath, ate my first meal of the day (it's 4:18pm), and would love to climb into bed.  I won't simply because I would be up about midnight.  Maybe chatting with you would wake me up.

I had mentioned in a previous blog that Mom S had decided she wanted new knees.  She had tests last Monday and today we were at the hospital from 8am to after 3pm.  After today, she said she wasn't ever going to mention anything about not feeling well or wanting any kind of surgery.  I didn't agree with the not feeling well part but, surgery (?), that part I said, "Yes!"

As with most hospitals, we had to hurry up and get there only to have to wait and wait and wait.  They had her paperwork messed up and had to call the doctor's office and the nursing home to get that straightened out.  I thought it was going to be just a stress test and echo cardiogram but nooooooo, she had more labs including 2 sticks into the artery in her wrist and additional tests to determine whether she had blockage to the heart.  Mom is dead weight so getting her from her wheel chair on to a table meant calling some burly aides to lift and place her where she needed to be (they were called 6 times!).  Each time she was moved, tears would flow and she would yell out my name.  I held her hand, wiped her tears, and encouraged her...  She would yell out, "Why does everything bad happen to me."  I explained that all of us go through trials at sometime in our lives ... she would make it through.  That didn't calm her and by the time she was finished, she was covered in sweat, crying, and shaking.  I felt so sad, wishing I could fix "it" for her ... wishing I could have taken the tests for her and had been able to endure the sticks to the artery for blood.  I wished I could give her some of my optimism, my perseverance, my joy.  I was helpless ... all I could do was stand by her, hold her, and whisper that she would be able to make it through the day.

"I will never leave you nor forsake you."  Hebrews 13:5

My day with Mom helped me to understand more about how the Lord feels about his children.  When we go through trials, He is there to comfort us.  In his case though, He did take the lashings, the spear in the side, and felt the spit of his tormentors run down his face.  He had nails pounded into his wrists,  was hung on a cross, and jeered as he took his last breaths.  He experienced the fickleness of the human race ... one moment praising him, the next tearing him to pieces.  Was this a wicked man?  Did he lie, steal, cheat, murder?  No, he healed the sick, encouraged the down trodden, spoke truth, and glorified his father in heaven.  He lived a perfect life and still he was treated like dirt by his own people.  He took the blows for me ... for you too, Readers!  Just like I love Mom, He loves us!!

"He was despised and rejected by men, a man of sorrows, and familiar with suffering.  Like one from whom men hide their faces he was despised, and we esteemed him not."  Isaiah 53:3

This past week I reconnected with a nephew I haven't seen since the 1970's.  I remembered him as a handsome boy with a gentle spirit ... he had been adopted and was welcomed into the family with excitement, love, and joy!  I will look forward to learning more about him, who he has become, and the family he leads.  Life is full of unexpected surprises.



"May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in him, so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit."  Romans 15:13
As I greet each new day, I look forward to the journey before me.  I have hope that the day will be a blessing and trust that the Lord will not give me more than I can handle.  So far it's worked out just fine.  Dr. Earheart looked at Mom today and said, "Virginia, take it one day at a time.  Enjoy your family and this day.  God is in control."  Mom replied, "Well, that's easier said than done."  Is it?  I've learned to survive on this concept sometimes breaking my days down into hours or minutes.  God has equipped me with the tools I need to minister to others and make my days count for something.  Knowing that my Heavenly Father has my best interests at heart, I am at peace...

I think I will go watch So You Think You Can Dance.  I am always in awe at the determination, talent, and perseverance these young folks have.  They face judgement, injuries, disqualification, and some experience the honor of being chosen to continue to dance for "the prize" of being number 1!  What happens if they are number 1?  They start to climb another mountain...



Always know you are loved and prayed for ... from my corner in the cottage, I am signing off as your friend, Miss Dottie!


"But you are a shield around me, O LORD;
you bestow glory on me and lift up my head.

To the LORD I cry aloud,
and he answers me from his holy hill.
Selah

I lie down and sleep;
I wake again, because the LORD sustains me.

I will not fear the tens of thousands
drawn up against me on every side." (Psalm 3:3 - 6)







 

1 comment:

  1. Awww so hard to read about the inevitable aging process. May we all grow gracefully and without too much discomfort. It is wonderful that you are there to support and help her!

    XXOO~
    Jane

    ReplyDelete