Sunday, August 5, 2012

Holy Cow, What did I do?

August 4, 2012


OMG, what a crazy day.  I had been eating peanuts then went to fill my pill box for the next two weeks.  I don't take many meds but find it easier to have everything measured out.  Anyway, my granddaughter, Madison, came in to the bedroom.  I was talking with Michael and Madison, and got totally distracted.  I got up from the bed with a handful of Trazadone (my sleep aid) in my hand; and, as I went to leave the room, put a handful in my mouth -- it didn't take me long to realize that I wasn't munching on peanuts!  Yeak, yuk, barf...  I ran to the bathroom and spit out what I could.  I should have rinsed my mouth but instead I drank some of my Coke.  Lesson learned:  Fill mouth with water, swish it around and spit it out not swallow!


I did call my pharmacist daughter, Jane, and asked her if I'd done something rash.  She said that if I started feeling off to head for the Emergency Room.  Instead, Madison and I headed for the Czech Bakery in West to get some Kolaches for breakfast.  Madison couldn't leave this area without experiencing the mouth watering, melt in your mouth pastries made on site.  She agreed they were quite good.  She wondered if we could go back to get cinnamon rolls before she left so she could try those.  EVERYTHING is good there.


It only takes a split second to just do something quite stupid and the results can be catastrophic.  I was lucky ... I could have swallowed all the pills I popped in my mouth.  I got enough in me to require a very long nap.  All in all, it turned out okay because I was tired and the nap did wonders for my achy body.


I was thinking about accidents, temptations ... those things that occur in a split second.  We have to be able to react quickly.  To make the wrong decision can make the difference between life and death.  I heard a comment the other day ... "Well, if it's not your time, nothing will happen."  What do you think?  Will God protect us from our own stupidity?


It says in the Bible that we are not to test our God.  (Deuteronomy 6:16) It also says that if we insist on rebelling and sinning, He will give us over to ourselves.  (Romans 1:24)  Does that mean He doesn't love us?  No, not at all ... He gives us free will; and, with that, the consequences that follow will be of our own making.


Why is "thou shalt not" so threatening?  I am a follow the rules person so obedience is just part of my makeup.  Usually behind the thou shalt nots is sound reasoning.  If you drive and text, you aren't paying attention to the crazy driver next to you or the car that slams on it's brakes in a split second.  Your attention needs to be on what you're doing -- I needed to be focused on putting pills in my pill box rather than accidentally popping them in my mouth.


1959 Galaxie 500 Ford - Color? Geranium
Growing up, my parents rarely allowed me to use the family car.  If I did get their permission, I needed to put gas in myself and they made it very clear that if I put a scratch on the car it would be my obligation to fix it.  Just to feel the keys in my hand meant being aware of my responsibilities.  Since my seventeen year old cousin was killed in a careless accident  involving teen pranks, they were very vigilant in knowing where I was going, with whom, and made me well aware of the fact that I was to act responsibly.  Adult privileges were earned not randomly given.


At any age, accidents happen.  We rarely set out to do something that is flat out wrong.  Does a young trusting teenage girl plan to get an STD or pregnant?  Does a young man mean to hurt someone in a hazing incident?  Does that innocent lunch date with a co-worker mean anything more than lunch at first?  As a sixty-five year old, I am fully aware that I need to be on the top of my game when I agree to babysit my grandchildren.  I am aware than too many pain pills can lead to addiction and an interrupted life.  Why now?  Why am I so much wiser now?  A life of living, observing, and being affected by not only my own choices but the choices of others has seasoned me!

This afternoon, Michael and I had the choice of watching the Olympics or the movie 8 Mile with Madison.  We chose 8 Mile - the story of rapper Eminem.   We watched the movie and discussed what was going on.  St. Francis of Assisi says that we are to seek to understand and I like that rather than jumping to conclusions.  It turned out, our choice was a good one...

As you go through your day, I pray that you will become more aware of your own choices and how they affect not only yourself but others as well.  Sometimes we can experience a redo but often times, what's done is done never to be recaptured.  As for me, I learned that pills are not peanuts!!!!!

Miss Dottie




 




1 comment:

  1. I am relieved that you were not negatively affected by chewing on the trazodone! It could have been much worse than a long nap. I agree with you that it is important to stay true to your moral convictions. If we could only have the wisdom of a adult as a child!! Yet, those hard lessons make us better....especially if we learn from our mistakes.

    XXOO~
    Jane

    ReplyDelete