Wednesday, September 28, 2011

6 Easy Steps to A New Gateway...

The Falling Leaves...

And a top of the morning to you, my Readers!  It's a beautiful Fall day in North Texas ... absolutely perfect weather to get outside and breathe in some fresh air.  I couldn't believe it when Michael got up and was ready for our morning walk this morning ... no prompting on my part either!  To walk around the outside of our subdivision is exactly one mile so we got in a good hike.  The dogren were so excited at the prospect of checking out every fire hydrant.  It's always fun to watch them as they explore their surroundings.


As I usually do, I think about my day on my walks and what I want to do for fun and for moving forward.  When I got home, I walked in the house using the front door.  We had the window in the den fixed yesterday and I wanted to get a birds eye view from the front door looking out to the backyard.  Much better now!!  As I crossed the threshold, I felt the warmth of the living room and the beckoning of the den in front of me.  Why did I feel that sense of well being and invitation?  Because I live here that's why and my home tells the story of the people living and visiting here!


Many people have asked me how I put together my home using such unique and interesting things.  It was eight years ago that Michael and I moved into our home.  We had picked out the floor plan and built the house from scratch.  We had a clean blank slate to start our new life together.  Now that it is for sale, we walk through the rooms remembering their transformation...  I really have found my nitch in home staging with a bent towards making a room feel lived in and comfortable.  I have children, friends, and pets and don't want my home to be a place where everyone tip toes around worrying about disturbing the contents.


This morning, I want to talk about the gateway to my home.  We chose black paint for our front door ... a color that goes well with all sorts of wreath colors ... a color of elegance.  I keep a pot of fresh flowers on the front step and a banner for each season welcoming those who visit us.  Once you purchase a pot, maintaining it is a low cost way of saying, "Come on in."  I have made each wreath for the seasonal changes and keep them in plastic hanging bags in the closet when not in use.  I spray the wreaths and touch them up each year and they have lasted me the eight years we have lived here.  Think long term...


I decided to clear out the foyer this morning mainly because I wanted to fill nail holes and touch up paint but I also wanted to help my Readers ready their own personal spaces for Fall step by step...


1.  Start with a clean pallet.  Pull everything out of your foyer.  Touch up paint, wipe off baseboards, and mop the floor.  I had decided on an off white color of paint when we built the house and a dark oak wood floor and have never tired of the combination.  Add an overhead light of interest.  I found mine on the clearance table at Lowe's for about $25.00.  It's made of iron and is on a dimmer switch so I can have it as bright or dim as my mood dictates.  I am such a romantic soul and love the ambiance lighting affords! 


2.  How do you want to greet your guests?  Like your eyes are the gateway to your soul, your foyer is the gateway to your home.  Get out a table and put some of your favorite things on it.  Because, the living room is so close to the entry, I used it to gather accessories and art.  Now that your room is cleared, it's time to dress it up!!  Choose a table, chest or anything that would hold keys, gloves, scarves, accessories as your centerpiece.  Years ago, I had bought a serving table for my formal dining room.  As a favorite piece it has graced many different spots in subsequent houses.  This go around, I put it into the entry.  The wood compliments the floor and the metal base compliments the lighting fixture.



3.  Add a rug to your space.  I happen to love oriental rugs because of their durability, color, and value.  Every time I walk to the front door (most of the time barefoot), my toes nestle in the softness underneath me.  Oriental rugs can be purchased at garage sales, discount stores, or at the most expensive rug galleries.  One thing I have gotten used to doing when purchasing an oriental rug is to haggle a little!  The rug in the entry way came from a dealer that was going out of business ... he had piles of rugs and just needed to get rid of them ... my gain!!



4.  Now, it's time to add the jewelry to your room.  You'd be surprised at what you have hidden in your closets!  Since, I am decorating the foyer for Fall today, I was on the lookout for earthy colors of red, orange, green, brown with touches of bling!  I'm not big on Halloween but I sure do love the harvest colors of Fall!!



5.  Don't be afraid to try new things.  The world is open for your picking!  When on walks, I am always on the lookout for stuff on the street, curb, and in fields.  I love to scour places like HomeGoods, TJMaxx, Ross, Tuesday Morning; antique stores; garage sales; and, flea markets.  Don't forget those old family mementos and pieces of furniture ... photos, memorabilia, etc.  Think out of the box!!  Hang your art first.  One of the mistakes people make is to hang their art too high.  You want to hang your art at eye level and build on that.  The art you choose determines the color scheme in the room.  I have found that the art I love has deep tones that carry the accessory colors of every season.  I have had paintings and pictures for years ... they move when I do and are familiar friends.  For my entry walls, I selected some paintings of roses, a wonderful print called the Women IV, a wreath I made of eucalyptus leaves and twigs, and a cross.  Don't be afraid of pounding nails in your walls, a simple fill of white toothpaste and touch up paint can cover a multitude of sins!!  To add warmth, I placed a lamp (previously used in the master bedroom) on the table and beside it placed a lighted pumpkin.  I usually have personal photos of my grandchildren and pets on the table as well as candles and other odds and ends.  Because the house is on the market, I had to forgo my usual photos instead using pieces of visual interest:  a glass box given to me by my husband and a set of candles.  I am told by my realtor that I need to keep things simple.



Fall 2011

6.  My entry makeover is complete and it couldn't have been easier!  What did I spend for this make-over?  Nothing ... I had my accessories in tubs from past years,  in my closets and the twigs found on my walk.  You'd be surprised at what you have stashed away!  To change your entry from season to season, change your accessories just like you change your own jewelry!!


Fall 2010


Fall 2009
 How long did this makeover take?  Probably about an hour because I had to wait for the touched up paint to dry.  Your home, like mine, can be ready to welcome family and friends at a moment's notice at minimal cost!

We are living in times of trial and discouragement.  Many folks are out of work, struggling to make ends meet, and down right depressed.  I would encourage you to make your home a refuge of joy starting with it's gateway ... the front door and foyer.  Have fun!

Happy Fall Ya'll! 


 

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the decorating lesson. I absolutely loved reading your blog as I listened to the gorgeous voice of the song, The Falling Leaves. Oh my...I wish it was cooler here. Tampa, FL is typically warm/hot and humid. I find that weather is a catalyst for holiday spirit. Since it never really cools down, Thanksgiving and Christmas sneak up on us without a warning. I REALLY miss the change of season. I pray daily that the Lord makes a path North for our family. Your blog makes me realize how much I miss the change of seasons.

    ReplyDelete