Tuesday, January 18, 2011

When God Takes A Friend Home

"Did Grandpa go to Heaven by car or by plane?"
"Neither," we answered.
"The angels came down and got him."
     Ashlyn, age 4


Ralph A. 1943-2011
 This morning, I was sitting outside on the back porch doing my 40 days of prayer and I thought about my friend, Ralph, and the memorial service set for 2pm.  It would have been so easy to stay home and make excuses about why I couldn't attend.  Somehow, I just knew it was important that I go to pay homage to this man I so admired.  For some reason, I was frightened to go ... maybe it was because I hadn't seen Ralph in some years or maybe it was because attending made me realize how quickly life goes by and how fragile we all are never knowing when our moment will come that we leave this earth and go to our heavenly home.  At any rate, I knew the right thing to do was to get up and go!

In 1996, I was invited to visit a church that was just getting off the ground and ended up staying as a member for a very long while.  While I was there, I met many wonderful people and deep friendships were formed.  Ralph, and his wife, Tammy, were two of those friends and it is to Ralph that this blog is dedicated.

In the fertile ground of Grace Community Church, Ralph found the Lord and a new way of life.  He had a hunger for learning and growing in his newly found faith and his life changed dramatically.  Ralph had a sparkle in his eye and a smile that was contagious.  His wife and children were blessed by a man who took his position as spiritual head of the home seriously and his legacy is filled with a life changed by the grace of God.  As a man, husband, father, grandfather and friend, Ralph was a hero ... someone to be looked up to.  Men went to him for wise counsel and were never sent away hungry.  Ralph took time ...   

Ralph had been ill for many years and gradually his body just gave out.  He was on oxygen 24/7 and knew his days were numbered.  Did Ralph give up?  Not on your life ...   He attended his Men's Bible Study faithfully, traveled the world and lived life to the fullest making the most of every moment.  The week before Ralph died, he and his wife took a trip to Branson.  It was a time to be forever cherished and remembered as sweethearts lost in the realm of love and commitment.

As I entered the church, I was met by several close friends and we were like young girls babbling on and on.  My fears quieted and I knew I was in the right place.  Familiar faces ... stories of a time gone by ... hugs ... smiles ... tears of sorrow and of joy ... Oh but for a moment, I wished I could go back and relive that time of my life when there was so much peace and joy.  I was part of a family that raised holy hands in worship and came close as a brother or sister when times were tough.  It is with this group of people that I celebrated my baptism.  What a party and, yes, Ralph was there cheering me on!

Friendships are so precious and never ever really go away.  It's so easy though to think ... I will see them tomorrow or next week or next year.  The regrets come when all of a sudden there are no more tomorrows and our loved ones are just ... gone.  I have been in contact with childhood friends, family and other people who have been instrumental in my life.  I cherish the conversations whether in email, letter, phone or the new communication tool, Facebook.

Once more I faced my mortality today and it stung ... It made me stop and think about what other's would say about me and the legacy I would leave.  Would my children and grandchildren carry on the baton of faith in the Lord I have come to know as my heavenly father?  My blog has been a way of facing my demons and celebrating the goodness of my life.  To be visible and known has been humbling ... yet, I want people to know that life cannot be lived perfectly and there is a rainbow at the end of the storm.





It is night and tears fill my eyes remembering the wonderful testimony my friend's life was to the common man.  He knew what it was like to live without God and he knew the joy that came from accepting the Lord as his Savior and Lord of his life.  God says it best...

"...Weeping may remain for a night, but rejoicing comes in the morning."~~Psalm 30:5

I pray that all of you will have a night of peaceful rest.  We all have those that we need to embrace ... it's time!
















 

1 comment:

  1. I'm so happy that you were surrounded by friends and God. Two things that were probably needed.

    I love you, your faith, and your legacy. You have passed the baton of faith to me and I need to ensure it carries on to your grandchildren. Yet....it would help if they spent some time with you; say in February....for at least a month or two :-)

    ReplyDelete