Thursday, May 17, 2012

Affliction & Lament

May 16, 2012


Good Afternoon, Readers! It's an absolutely gorgeous day in Central Texas and at the little casa. I sat outside on the patio doing some reading in my Daily Walk Bible. Come to think of it, it's been awhile since I shared much from my reading. Today, I began to read the book of Job. I always enjoy reading this book and learn something new each year.


The book of Job examines one of life's most perplexing questions about why do bad things happen to good people. There is the central figure, Job, who lived about 4,000 years ago, God, Satan, and Job's three self-appointed counselors who make the book come to life. Job was a Godly man who stayed away from evil but a series of sudden catastrophes make his life unbearable ... he loses his family, fame, fortune, and fitness. One minute he's on top of the world and the next minute, the messengers start arriving to bring him the "news" (not a good thing).


Job had been the focus of a heavenly debate between God and Satan. Although Job lost everything, he steadfastly acknowledged God's sovereign right to give blessings ... and to take them away ... as he sees fit. (Job 1:21) When I finished Chapter 2, I set my Bible aside and thought long and hard about what I had read.


Satan was right, it's easy to be a Christian when the going is smooth, the wallet is fat, and our psyche is stoked. Wouldn't you say so? Well, if that is true then the rubber must meet the road in times of trial(s). I have bad days, weeks, and months during my lifetime and have gone through periods of trial when I wondered if the hurt was ever going to stop. I've never been angry at God but I have asked, "What did I do to deserve this?" What if all three of my children died, all of my grandchildren died, my house burned down, my money disappeared, and I was covered in boils ... all in one day!! At the end of the day, would I be able to say, "The Lord gave me everything I had, and they were his to take away. (Now get this) Blessed be the name of the Lord."   (Parentheses mine)  Blessed? Blessed?? Blessed??? To tell you the absolute truth, I would probably be laying prostrate on the floor bawling my head off. I would be devastated. I'm be totally honest.


It is quite possible that God uses suffering to do good. He produces patience through tribulation (Romans 5:3). Or He may desire to save someone through it. Take for example, the account of Joseph who was sold into slavery by His brothers. What they did was wrong and Joseph suffered greatly for it. But, later, God raised up Joseph in Egypt to make provisions for the people of that land during the coming drought of seven years. Not only was Egypt saved, but also his family and brothers who originally sold him into slavery. Joseph finally says to them, "You meant it for evil, but God meant it for good"  (Genesis 50:15-21). Of course, the greatest example of God using evil for good is the death of Christ. Evil people brought him to the cross, but God used that cross as the means to save the world.


But then, what about those who seem to suffer innocently with no benefit resulting? What about the woman who is raped, or the innocent bystander who is killed by a stray bullet. In both cases, the victims and families suffer nothing but pain and loss. What good can this do? Why do little babies suffer for things they have not done? I must say that I do not know. Ultimately, like Job, we must trust God who knows the beginning from the end and sees the grand picture. He will have the final word and He will be vindicated.

I keep a journal of gratitude and do not take blessings for granted.  I tell my children that I love them every single day and pray for them to have strength, wisdom, and courage.  For so many years, I took so much for granted.  When times were good, I just expected those times to continue forever.  As a young mother, I wished that my children were grown so I could have some time to myself.  Now, I miss them terribly.  Why didn't I relish that time when I had it?!  In our microwave society we need to get back to savoring life and all it's seasons.  I certainly do that now...  Maybe I need to trade in my microwave for a crock pot??

Some seasons ago, I spent thirty days at Hope's Door.  I walked through the door of a shelter I helped build never knowing...  I was in shock -- my mind spiraling as if taken by a whirlwind.  I walked through the first few days in a fog.  I had been stripped of my life of affluence.  All I had left was God ... and, somehow I knew that God was enough.  As I hit the bottom, God started speaking to me through the Psalms.  It was through the transformation of my mind that I began building my life anew.  "I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength."~~Philippians 4:13.  I've never been the same since.  I didn't quit, Readers, and in my weakness and trial, I was made strong.  I had a choice and I chose life!!! 




Until we chat again, always remember that I love you and am praying for you ... YA YOU!!

Miss Dottie








1 comment:

  1. I often wonder why people suffer as well. The innocent victims who were at the wrong place at the wrong time. I like how Joel Osteen states that we should not be a victim of this world, yet be victorious over it--as Christ was victorious over the tomb. It helps to know that biblical heroes faced the same struggles (or worse) than what we suffer today. It is more difficult to stay positive and moving forward than to succumb to the negativity around.

    Thanks for a thought provoking blog!
    XXOO~
    Jane

    ReplyDelete