Monday, May 28, 2012

The Battlefield of Today

May 28, 2012

It's Memorial Day.  I've had the flu for a couple of days and it's really been ... well, not fun.  I was hoping to make this a fun day celebrating those who have served our country but couldn't quite get up the energy to pull it together.

As I lay in my bed, I allowed my thoughts to drift back in time to Memorial Days as a kid.  It was a real big deal ... flags, parades, ceremonies at the lake, decorating the graves and on and on...  I remember standing by my mother holding my hands over my ears as the veterans gave the 21 gun salute.  At that time, I had no idea of the impact war had on my father and those who fight in gruesome conflicts.  Now I do and I love my father even more for the love he had for his country.  He gave up his life as he knew it as a boy and young man and became, in so many ways, a casualty, of a war he didn't cause but chose to fight in.  Why?  For your freedom and mine!

What is the price you put on your freedom?  I don't know about  you but I am an independent soul who is grateful that I am able to write a blog about my life and faith without wondering if I will be put in jail or even beheaded.  I am grateful that I am able to attend the church of my choice without someone telling me what to believe.  I am grateful that I am free to move about the country without going through check points showing my passport.  I am grateful that I have had the opportunity to work and make a living for my family.

I go to bed at night listening to the crazy Mockingbirds wail outside my window.  There are no sounds of artillery fire or bombs going off in the distance.  There is a storm shelter in the back yard with walls a foot wide that could be used as a bomb shelter.  So far, so good ... haven't had to worry about that.  I am able to go about my daily life comfortably and without worry.

One of my Facebook friends commented that she thought it was terrible that members chose Facebook to exercise their political opinions.  That made me sad.  I have the freedom to disagree or agree but I give others the right to speak their minds.  I lived with secrets and stuffed opinions for so long that once the dam broke and I was able to open my mouth, I celebrated!

The Christian community in America is really taking a beating these days.  Why has it become so horrible the past few decades to have prayer in schools or government meetings?  Can we not be adults and choose to participate or not without feeling put out?  What is so horrible about the Ten Commandments that they cannot be on display?  Are we losing our freedom as Christians giving way to "modern day beliefs"?  Following Christ's example, should we not be allowed to express our beliefs knowing that others have the option to accept what we have to say, disagree, or just walk away?  Tolerance has taken on a whole new meaning these days...

We're fighting our own wars in America.  Our elders are known as fuddy duddies who don't know beans ... our young generation is struggling, their minds tossed to and fro by whomever gives them the information they want to hear.  We are dealing with rebellious adults who don't want to follow the rules.  Just wait ... just wait...  I wonder how they will react when the hard hand of tyranny falls upon them.  You say tyranny?  Yes tyranny -- oppressive power exerted by the government.  Just remember, the borrower is a slave to the lender.  Slave?  Does that scare you?  It should.  If you're a student of history, you know that history tends to repeat itself...  Who is America a slave to?  As elections are coming up, please take some time and investigate what's going on in our country.  Stop thinking of yourself as a Democrat or Republican and open your heart to truth.

I want to say thank you to my Dad and others who gave up so much that we could have years of prosperity and freedom.  I want to say thank you to my God who has enlightened me and drawn me into the light of reality.  I don't take my freedom for granted and until I day I die, I want to do my part to carry my share of the load.

Men and women alike have sought freedom from religious persecution, debtor's prisons, starvation, and the hope of a better life ... to be a patriot was heart-felt.  Something we really can't understand unless we've experienced it first hand.  I found this old photo of a patriot's parade in the town I grew up in.  I studied it for a long time.  At the turn of the century, freedom was fresh in the minds of pioneers as was the Civil War.  They got it ... yes, they did...

  

I wish you well this special day ... I wish you freedom ... I wish you love as you remember your own Memorial Days and Decoration Days!  Mostly, I hope that you remember those who gave their lives emotionally and physically that we could rest at night listening to the Mockingbirds jabber!

Miss Dottie


"Greater love has no one than this, that one lay down his life for his friends."~~John 15:13


1 comment:

  1. Yes, we are very blessed to have freedom. Open a newspaper, the internet, a magazine and one can see what life would be like without freedom. How horrible to live in constant fear. Forget creativity, joy, worship, etc.; it is a dark picture.

    We can only pray for youth. There are some that hold 'old-fashioned' values. Yet, most of them have a completely different way of thinking. I love the Casting Crowns song, Slow Fade. I think the next generation could learn from the lyrics (as could I).

    XXOO~
    Jane

    Be careful little eyes what you see
    It's the second glance that ties your hands as darkness pulls the strings
    Be careful little feet where you go
    For it's the little feet behind you that are sure to follow

    It's a slow fade when you give yourself away
    It's a slow fade when black and white have turned to gray
    Thoughts invade, choices are made, a price will be paid
    When you give yourself away
    People never crumble in a day
    It's a slow fade, it's a slow fade

    Be careful little ears what you hear
    When flattery leads to compromise, the end is always near
    Be careful little lips what you say
    For empty words and promises lead broken hearts astray

    It's a slow fade when you give yourself away
    It's a slow fade when black and white have turned to gray
    Thoughts invade, choices are made, a price will be paid
    When you give yourself away
    People never crumble in a day

    The journey from your mind to your hands
    Is shorter than you're thinking
    Be careful if you think you stand
    You just might be sinking

    It's a slow fade when you give yourself away
    It's a slow fade when black and white have turned to gray
    Thoughts invade, choices are made, a price will be paid
    When you give yourself away
    People never crumble in a day
    Daddies never crumble in a day
    Families never crumble in a day

    Oh be careful little eyes what see
    Oh be careful little eyes what you see
    For the Father up above is looking down in love
    Oh be careful little eyes what you see

    ReplyDelete