Wednesday, May 16, 2012

I'm A Mom

May 13, 2012


I love the quote by Jane Adams:  “You raised your kids to be independent, strong, and think for themselves. So once they're grown, why is it so hard to let them do it?”


'Cause I'm a Mom that's why!  Enough said!!


It's Mother's Day! This morning I opened one eye then the other hoping that Toby and Sadie wouldn't notice. No such luck. They ran towards the back door knowing that after they do their business, breakfast will be waiting. Michael took charge of dog patrol and of breakfast this morning and, as for me, I took my time waking up. The aroma of pancakes and fresh coffee floated through the house and my spirits were mellowed. Michael appeared at the door ... "Breakfast is served!" I fluffed up the pillows behind me and thought, "This is great ... breakfast in bed!" To me, that is a gift I could receive every morning the rest of my life.  I just love waking up slowly, enjoying every sip of my coffee, praying for my family and others, and greeting the day with a positive attitude.


Sixty-five is just a number!
I am Mom and Mama Dot to my children and their spouses and Grandma "." to my grandchildren.  I have been blessed beyond blessed to have a close relationship with my family making every day Mother's Day.  It hasn't always been that way so for those who are struggling with wayward children or grandchildren, estrangement issues, and just plain apathy, I say, "Pray, do your part in reconciliation, and leave the rest to the Lord."  Believe me, He does his best work behind the scenes!!


"Okay," you say, "what do I do in the meantime??"  Live your life, count your blessings, and be the best person you can be.  Please don't become a martyr or put your life on hold.  That's exactly what Satan wants you to do.  There was a time in my life when I was estranged from my oldest daughter and my middle daughter was away at college doing what college kids do...  I was lonely for a daughter and the Lord blessed me with a relationship with a young woman who was a huge part of my life for many years.  I embraced my season with her and became a better person.  I still think about her and her family and pray for them.  God did not abandon me in my time of need.



The Lady Jane

Master Thomas
Raising strong, self-sufficient children came naturally to me.  I am an independent free spirit that hates to be hemmed in and I didn't want to hem in my children either.  I wanted them to be able to take care of themselves in this dog eat dog world.  Did I have rules and discipline?  You bet.  I found that natural consequences were better than threats with no substance.  Many a time, I was the meanest mother in the world.  I would giggle and think ... "I'm doing my job!"  There were also times when my children were hurt and would sit in my lap and cry and I would think ... "I'm doing my job!"  I was there to teach and guide and let them know that they were loved no matter what.  We have traveled some wild roads together and now?  Well, now we have this special bond that cannot be broken -- we are Family - For Better or Worse.



We went to visit Mom S at the nursing home late morning.  She gets cold and wanted a warm heavy black sweater for Mother's Day.  In Texas, in May?  Not one to be found.  We did find some warm outfits on the clearance rack at a shop she likes and brought those.  She was delighted.  She was bummed to find out we couldn't get her black shoes fixed (she bought them 30 years ago!).  I went out and found her a pair that I hoped she would like and wear ... she was like a young girl trying them on.  She's in a wheelchair and doesn't walk but she likes her feet to be well dressed!  I had picked flowers from my garden that morning for her.  The roses were a bright pink, the gardenias had just opened and gave off the most amazing scent, and the assortment of purple and yellow flowers as fillers made the bouquet a beautiful one!  While we were there, she said something that gave us a jolt.  She said she was going to die soon.  I wonder, do people sense that?  Her breathing is more labored and her emotions raw these days...


In the afternoon, we took a drive to Waco.  It's a beautiful city filled with parks, lakes, the Brazos River, and history.  I made a mental list of places I'd like to go back to visit.  When I make my usual trips, I head for the outdoor mall and Lowe's to do my errands then head home.  We stopped at a wholesale nursery where flowers are only sold by the flat.  Cheap!  Cheap!  I snatched up a flat of red and white impatiens and a couple gallon pots of some kind of blue flower.  My daughter had given me a gift card so I got some big pots and dirt and had a great time arranging the flowers and put them on the front porch.



At days end, I sat out on the patio reminiscing about the day and past Mother's Days.  My father always got my mother a red and white corsage as well as one for his mother.  The ladies in my family gathered together celebrating the day and each other.  Those ladies sure could talk and laugh!  That was a simpler time.  A time of Miss Manners, pretty hankies, and white gloves.  My children wouldn't remember those days; they were born in a different era!  I remember though ... my cousin, Sandy, and I would dress up in Grandmother Bell's dresses from the turn of the century and would try walking in her high topped shoes with skinny little heels!  Bell must have been the belle of the ball in her fine gown, lace hankie, billowy hat with feathers, and snappy shoes.  I can just imagine my grandfather courting her and considering her one handsome lady!  As for me, I remember her in the 1950's wearing a somber dark dress, a large apron, and some black high topped tennis shoes ... the kind with a white circle on the ankle area.  Times do change, don't they!!  She swapped her finery for apparrel better suited for tending chickens and keeping house!  

What are you treasuring this special day?  Are you remembering the many special things your mother did for you?  Or, are you angry remembering what she didn't do?  One thing you can always be grateful for ... she gave you life that you might make your own mark on your family and this world.  Mothers get blamed for so much and often times thanked little.  I know it's an old cliche' but I truly believe that mothers (unless they are severely warped) don't set out to do their children harm ... they do the best they can with the knowledge that they have.  Take what you can from your memories that is good and leave the rest to the Lord to deal with.  As for me, I'm going to grasp every good thing and blessing and be grateful that I am alive to love my family and those around me - for better or worse!!

Take gentle care ... I hope that your day has been a special one ... until next time, remember you are loved and prayed for ... YA YOU!!

Miss Dottie

PS  Don't you just love Bible verses with a promise?  God says in Isaiah 66:13 "As a mother comforts her child, so I will comfort you;..."  Mothers have a special place in the Lord's heart and in mine too!
  

1 comment:

  1. I'm so happy that you had a nice Mother's Day. You were a great mom, who had to deal with difficult circumstances. You definitely taught us independence, but also did every stitch of my laundry and made most meals until I went to college. You have an amazing ability to transform a house into a home. I was blessed to have been raised by you! YA YOU - he!he!

    XXOO-
    Jane

    ReplyDelete