Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Song of the South



Remnants of the Old South
Wednesday, January 30, 2013

It's a chilly Winter day in Central Texas.  The sun is out but the wind is blowing like crazy making the crisp morning air seem colder than it really is.

My neighbor brought me the old movie, Song of the South.  Modern day technology is wonderful.  Since I was in the cottage, I put it in my computer and watched it as I vegged on the couch.

If you're not familiar with the movie, Song of the South is a 1946 American musical film produced by Walt Disney.  The film is based on the Uncle Remus stories by Joel Chandler Harris.  The actors provide a sentimental story in which Uncle Remus relates the folk tales of the adventures of Brier Rabbit and his friends.  The hit song from the film was "Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah" which won the 1947 Academy Award for Best Song.  Did you know that this film inspired the Disney theme park attraction Splash Mountain?

I was surprised to know that this film has never been released in it's entirety on home video in the United States because Disney executives thought it might be viewed by some as politically incorrect and racist towards black people.  At any rate, I would highly recommend the film for children as well as adults.

Uncle Remus used tales to get his point across to children and adults.  I laughed and cried and, for a moment, became a child again rewatching a movie I had seen as a youngster.  No wonder I love Negro Spirituals so much ... they were a part of their culture passed on to us.  Such soulful beauty!

Over seventeen years ago now, I ministered to a young woman who was pregnant.  Her baby was half black, half white.  I was there when this child was born and as I gazed upon Baleigh's face I felt a love I hadn't felt before.  It was a love that transcended logic.  My time with this young woman and her child (who she gave up for adoption) changed my life dramatically.  I hate to say it but my family of origin was pretty prejudiced.  As a child I didn't understand that because there weren't any blacks around.  As an adult, I came to love all races and appreciate their cultures.

I have a deep love for the South and it's culture and people.  I can't explain it but I feel the love and compassion of these natives.  My son was born here as was my two grandsons.  I laugh 'cause I think that when someone is born here they must inject them with something that says you are Texan through and through!


God says we are to be as little children ... little children are blind to the color of one's skin.  As in the Song of the South, little Johnny finds a best friend in Uncle Remus and a little girl by the name of Ginny.  He is drawn to those with good hearts and well intentions.  Isn't this the way we all should be?


"Then he said, I tell you the truth, unless you turn from your sins and become like little children, you will never get into the Kingdom of Heaven."  ~~Matthew 18:3

Miss Dottie

PS  To quote Uncle Remus:  "It happum on one ah dem Zip-A-Dee-Doo Dah Days.  Now dat's the kinda day whre you can't oppem yo mouf widout a song jumpin right out of it!"  Enjoy your day in the Uncle Remus spirit!!



















1 comment:

  1. Ahhh - sounds like a wonderful movie, and I know the song well. It's a song that'll always put a smile on my face and a skip in my step.

    Prejudice thoughts and feelings can seep into our core. Having preconceived notions about a person before truly knowing them is not fair. I do believe it is important not to judge a book by it's cover.

    That being said....
    I am sure that Baleigh is beautiful inside and outside, although her father was not. This has nothing to do with color....it is about his heart. I knew from the moment I met him that he was a liar, manipulator, and he was taking advantage of a situation. Thank the Lord above.. truth was revealed and a turn of events ensured that he would not be part of his daughter's life. From what I have heard, she was given to a wonderful couple who were not able to conceive after many, many years of disappointment. Maybe God had planned all along for beautiful Baleigh to be a miracle gift to a couple burdened with infertility.

    As always- another thought provoking blog.

    Love you, your words and talents soooo much!
    Jane

    ReplyDelete