Tuesday, March 15, 2011

People Need the Lord

Good Morning, Readers!  It sure has been quite a wild ride here since I returned from Florida.  The good news is that I now have Internet connection at the little casa and am able to work on my children's books and some some connection with the outside world.

As you can see, we are well on our way to have the little casa back in order after the flooding!  The only room left to be finished is the kitchen and Lowe's is here working on it.  We are pleased with the results.  Michael put my new stove together and I am so anxious to give it a try.  Looks like I will be getting out all my cookbooks once again!

The past week has become quite a blurr of doctors, nurses, diagnoses, visitors, and on and on.  It seems like we have been on death watch for such a long time but it's only been a week.  Mom was originally taken to the hospital for treatment of pneumonia.  She was getting better then, all of a sudden she started going downhill quickly.  She had a mild heart attack, a stroke, and multiple seizures.  Since she had requested not to be resuscitated or put on any type of life support, the doctor talked to Michael and I about what lay ahead ... none of it was good.  Although Mom's vital signs were good, her lungs were giving out.  The decision was made to disconnect the IV and send Mom back to the nursing home to make her comfortable until she passed.  I should say that was man's plan...  God had other plans for Mom!

Mom was taken back to the nursing home which she now calls "home."  She was so excited to see her old roommate, Paula.  The longer she is off her IV and antibiotic, the better she is feeling.  Yesterday, she sat up in her wheelchair and even ditched her briefs and had the nurses assist her to the bathroom.  We were shocked at her progress!!  This morning, when I went to see her, the nurses said she had finished all her breakfast.  We talked awhile and said said, "I'm hungry, where's the food?"  I got her some pudding and she ate the entire bowl!

I had asked Mom's roommate whether she knew if Mom was saved or not.  Paula said, "Well, she. goes to the same Baptist church I go to."  Well...whether one is Lutheran, Catholic, Baptist or any other religion it doesn't mean they are saved.  When Tommy was with her, he prayed for her as did Michael and I.  Today, I broached the subject with her she told me that she had a vision.  I asked her what her vision was and she said she couldn't remember.  I told her what a wonderful Lord we have in Jesus Christ and that he died for our sins.  She smiled ... we will talk again soon...  All I know is that people need the Lord!  Yes, they do!!  I love this song and it has been going through my mind the past few days...




Mom was terrified of death and became panic stricken as her breathing became more labored.  Then, the Lord God turned her sorrow into joy.  He created a thankful heart ... Until He takes her home, Mom still has purpose on this earth!  Mom has a testimony of praise and thanks.  "I will praise you, Lord, for you have saved me from my enemies.  You refuse to let them triumph over me.  O Lord my God, I pleaded with you and you gave me my health again.  You brought me back from the brink of the grave, from death itself, and here I am alive."~~Psalm 30 1-3

To be a caretaker has been a challenge for Michael and I.  We live an hour and a half from the nursing home where Mom resides which means we need to be prepared to get in the car and head south at a moment's notice.  The doctor's and nurses have been wonderful; however, we have needed to be there when they can't.  It has been a blessing that I am not working so I am camped out here and will be until this latest crisis is behind us.

My husband is an only child ... Mom's son.  At the beginning of my marriage, I was very jealous of Michael's relationship with his mother.  Then, over time, I realized that their love was that of a mother and son ... my relationship with Mom was my choice and I decided to love her.  Michael and Mom have always have been very close but she tells me that she always yearned for a daughter like me.  I enjoy pampering her and encouraging her ... we do girl talk and giggle a lot.  She has the best of two people who love her.  I want to make sure that she receives the best of care until God chooses to take her home.  Throughout all the juggling of time and energies, she's NEVER been a burden.  I call her my miracle mom!

William Glassser said, "What happened in the past that was painful has a great deal to do with what we are today."  How very true.  As I began to accept that my childhood was flawed leaving me wounded and insecure, I also realized that I could move beyond the self into a new me ... a stronger me.  I could give myself and others everything that I wanted as a child.  I couldn't erase the past but I could use it for good.  No more blaming ... no more excuses.  The rawness of my flesh needed to heal and the sorrow in my heart became more like my Lord.  Oh, how far I've come and how far I have yet to grow.  An exciting prospect!!

The birds are really chirping this afternoon.  I'm surprised how quickly, everything is greening up.  I've decided to plant a couple pots of flowers this afternoon to brighten up the front porch.  I need to get some trimmers to shape up the hedges.  I was going to add some flower beds to the front of the house but have decided to leave the front pretty much the same and concentrate on putting the gardens in the back.  My creative juices are churning!

It is my hope and prayer that you all are having the best day ever!  Always remember you are loved and prayed for!  Before you get caught up in your own concerns make sure you also get caught up in God's greatness!!  Until we talk again ...








   

1 comment:

  1. I can't get over the beautiful little casa!! Your decorating talents never cease to amaze me. I bet Michael's mom is pleased as punch that y'all are loving her home. Gifting important possessions to loved ones can be a joyful experience if the receiver truly appreciates and tends to the item. It could be as small as an article of clothing, or as large as a house. I'm proud that you appreciate her gift!

    Love you-
    Jane

    p.s. can't wait to see your lake home in person.

    ReplyDelete