Thursday, March 3, 2011

Yes Virginia, there are alligators in Florida!

Whoa, the alligators are big in Florida!  The little ones are left alone in the ponds within the subdivisions; however, the big 'uns are caught and moved out.  For some reason, I am drawn to them.  Maybe it's the side of me that likes to walk on the edge of life?!

Not too long ago, close to here, an alligator chomped down on a Sheltie dog ... one gulp, ate the whole dog.  Ouch!  Back in Texas, we get concerned about the coyotes, snakes and bob cats.  I think in every part of the country there is some animal or reptile that scares the #@#* out of us! 

Click to show "Garter snake" result 17Me?  I am scared to death of snakes.  I grew up in Minnesota and while playing with a bunch of kids, one of the boys threw a garter snake down the back of my shirt.  Oh my gosh, I nearly had a heart attack.    As an adult, I was doing laundry and picked up my laundry basket and found a baby moccasin underneath it.  I jumped up on the sink in the laundry room and stayed there until one of the boys got home.  (my two step-sons though it was hilarious!)  After that incident, we moved from our home on the creek.


Madison - Stars Cheerleader
We all have things that frighten us, don't we?  I watch Madison do her back flips and all the stunts that make her a magnificent cheerleader and wonder, "How in the world does she do that?"  I watch Tim and Jane run marathons and wonder, "How do they do that?"  I watch America's Got Talent and wonder, "Good grief, how do some of those people doing dare devil stunts do that?"  One thing they all have in common is that they face their fears and instead of saying "I'm scared or I'm afraid to try", they "just do it."  Not only do they just do it ... they practice over and over until they become a master.


Hobo Camp in the 1950's
 As a small child, I was fearless.  Looking back, I know God was watching over me because many times I could have been brutalized ... like the time, I walked up Soo Hill and went to the sand pit to see where the hobos lived that traveled on the trains.  I found their camp site and a half-eaten can of beans but no hobos...their fire was still warm.  I felt deflated ... I wanted to meet one of them.  I jumped up on the box cars and pretended that I was a hobo traveling to destinations beyond...  Was it bravery or stupidity?  I told my mom that I had gone there and she said, "Just make sure you're home for supper."  I could go wherever I wanted as long as I was home by 6pm.  That was my boundary until I was 12 years old.

When I became a mother, some of my adventurous spirit lingered from childhood and although I kept my children safe, they were allowed to be adventurous.  Jill took a broom handle, tied a fork to it and went hunting in the creek for fish (she wasn't afraid of the snakes!);  all 3 of my children loved to ride their bikes throughout the neighborhood and went to what they called "the grand canyon" to do bike stunts.  All the stay at home moms kept a vigilant eye out for anyone that was out and about.  It was a time when I knew everyone on our street and was very involved in school and various city organizations.  Block parties were common place and friendships ran deep.  I did tell my children, "Be home in time for dinner!" :=)

My husband and I bought a new home in Plano, Texas in 1972 when the city was very small.  One day, I took my two girls to school and came home to an open garage door and a strange car inside.  Hmmm, I thought that was odd.  I walked through the back door and was met by a rather mean looking dude.  I asked, "What are you doing in my house?"  He replied, "Hey, the lady of the house is home (to his accomplice) ... (to me) the builder sent us."  "Well, I don't need anything done and you need to get out."  I backed out of the driveway so they could leave and promptly called my husband who was out of town.  He said he hadn't called the builder.  Goodness...it dawned on me that I had just walked in on burglars!  I called the police and they came out to take a report.  They told me that there had been several burglaries in the newer homes and I was lucky that they didn't harm me.  I got a good scolding!  The rest of the day and throughout that night, my neighbors checked on me and the girls.  That became the start of the neighborhood watch program.  We looked out for one another!  Times are different now, often times we are so busy that we don't really know our neighbors much less look out for them.

Tim and Jane live on a cul de sac and amazingly, they do know their neighbors and the parents and families of Madison's and Katrina's friends.  They are vigilant and aware of the dangers lurking about.  Yes, it takes time but they take the time and their parenting seriously.  They encourage the girls to try new things, study hard and are watchful of any activities out of the ordinary.  Soon after I got here, Jane received an anonymous Facebook message about Madison.  It was a nasty, malicious note ... one that needed to be taken very seriously.  The note was discussed openly within the family and measures were taken to assure Madison's safety.  Cyber bullying is the new form of nastiness and I hate it.  Anytime you put your person "out there" you open yourself up for the worst of the worst of people to knock you down.  It takes courage just to exist these days!!  I love the song, You Are My Hiding Place ... I trust in the man who holds my hand as I walk this road of life ... I especially like this video because it contains so many scriptures!  Watch and enjoy!!




Do you have a hiding place?  A place where you can run to from the challenges of life?  Do you run from or do you run to?  Lots of food for thought...  I have a prayer closet, a place where I can be very still, pray, and listen.  It is there that wisdom has taken root and hurt has given birth to forgiveness.

I leave you today with a quote from Robert Cody:

"Have the courage to live.  Anyone can die."


The Thinking Bench - placed 3/2009
Take time to ponder all that life has to offer!
Ya'll take care now ... let's face those fears head on and be all we were meant to be!  Always remember, courage is fear that has said it's prayers!!  Go for it!!

  

 

1 comment:

  1. Your blogs provoke thought and this blog made me think about the importance of parenting. I feel it is especially important to praise children for effort, determination, and perseverance. So many parents tell their child, "you are so smart"..."you are so pretty"..."you have natural talent" even though the words are said out of love, they actually limit the child because it makes them afraid to fail. The adventurous, confident kid is not afraid to fail and knows they may fall off their bike 100 times, yet on the 101st try they will accomplish the hard earned skill. Yeah for scraped knees, bruised elbows, and sore muscles. The desire and motivation to overcome obstacles will pay dividends for a lifetime.

    I have lived my life vicariously through your blog as you vacation with my family in Florida. I have enjoyed every minute and I get tears in my eyes and my heart feels heavy when I think of you leaving. I can't place my finger on any specifics, yet I feel especially close to you. Possibly your blog exposes your vulnerability--whatever is happening, I love it!!! I look forward to lots of fun activities over the next 4 days and then we'll count the days until you return.

    XXOO-
    Jane

    ReplyDelete