Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Family is about Adoption!


Hamilton Elf goes to Florida!
 Good Morning from the Sunshine State!  Right now it's a little cloudy but oh so peaceful and quiet (other than the birds singing!).  It's going to be a day of rest, relaxing, and writing.  I am starting to write book one of the Hamilton Elf series for children.  I want to use Hamilton to instill good character in a way that children can readily accept and understand.  In just the short time I have been here, Katrina has expressed some thoughts that are pretty awesome.  Since I have grandchildren 7 and under, that's my targeted range for readers.


Once I finish a blog, my mind starts thinking about my next topic ... usually a word pops into my mind and today, that word was "adoption"... maybe because Teddy was just adopted into the family here in Florida.  When I think about adoption, I think of the meaning to accept or to take in lovingly.  There is also adoption of a creed, lifestyle or a myriad of other meanings...





Dottie and Michael 2010
 Family is so much about adoption.  Michael and I were married in 2003.  At that time, I was lovingly adopted into his family.  Mom S has been a wonderful part of my life and it has been an honor and privilege to serve her.  Michael's children and grandchildren became mine and my children and grandchildren became his.  It gets complicated because to be adopted lovingly doesn't always happen and that's sad to me.  For my entire life, I've always been an accepting, loving person so it's foreign to me when I am rejected or others are rejected.  Coming from an abusive background, my first thoughts are of blaming myself and trying to fix the situation.  There have been times that I almost felt like a hamster running as fast as I could in a wheel going nowhere.  Thank God, these days, I am quick to apologize for my part in any misunderstanding, make amends, then trust Him with the rest.

I have learned that there will be some people that I rub the wrong way and who will choose not to adopt me into their circle of life and I must be okay with that.  I know that to dwell on my rejection only brings me sadness and depression which means I don't have the time and energy to devote to those that have adopted me lovingly.  I hope I am making some sense.

You see, I had this big hole in my heart for a long time ... I filled it with busyness, things, projects, men ... you name it.  It didn't work because nothing and no one could fill that hole and my own insecurities.  I was expecting others to be God which only lead to further emptiness and bigger insecurities.  Only the love of my Lord filled the hole and healed me.  There is a good book I read written by TD Jakes, THE LADY, HER LOVER, AND HER LORD.  It helped me understand that I needed to be filled with the love of God and be whole before that hole would be filled.  I was looking for love and to be accepted and man couldn't do that.  Good grief, I tried that route enough times.  God adopted me FIRST and gave me a sense of wholeness.  He accepted me where I was and lifted me to new heights encouraging me to be the woman He created me to be and to use the talents He gave me.  At this point, I was able to handle criticism, rejection, and the knowledge that it isn't always my fault...

When I finally "got it" that some rejections weren't my fault, it also gave way to the knowledge that some rejections were my fault and I needed to be brave enough to come clean and be open, honest, and truthful.  For years, I attended Alanon and after going through the steps, began to teach them.  It was really hard for me for a long time ... it's always easier to adopt the idea that my life was miserable because of "his drinking".  Nawww, the drinking and our problems were just a symptom of something deeper that needed to be addressed.  Then, I adopted the plan of the steps and also adopted God's way of life.  It has made all the difference!!  What peace it is NOT to be at war within myself!

I read Deuteronomy 19:17-20 today which is about civil laws.  I found it interesting that Moses (as speaker to the Israelites) addressed the subject of gossip and rumors.  In 19:15-19 it says, "Never convict anyone on the testimony of one witness.  There must be at least two, and three is even better.  If anyone gives false witness, claiming he has seen someone do wrong when he hasn't, both men shall be brought before the priests and judges on duty before the Lord at the time.  They must be closely questioned, and if the witness is lying, this penalty shall be the punishment he thought the other man would get."  How does this apply to adoption?  Well, think about it, so much of our perceptions of people comes from someone else's opinion.  We need to be careful!

I came across this beautiful ballad about adoption...please listen to the whole song as it truly does speak not only about adopting orphans but also about how God has adopted us!




Have a wonderful day, Readers ... Always remember you are loved and prayed for ... YA YOU!!



2 comments:

  1. What a wonderful blog!! It is fantastic to have you here visiting. I appreciate the sacrifice you have given--time and money are precious.

    Adoption is a wonderful opportunity. Here we thought we would foster many, many dogs (corgi rescue foster home), and low and behold, we fell in love with Teddy. His sweet nature, cheerful face, and devotion to my hubby made him priceless.

    True--not everyone will accept and love us like we would like them to. Yet, I always tell my girls that if you have one of two true friends life will be fine. Unconditional love is only perfectly given from God, and he has filled us with the need for relationships. Knowing that we have him watching over us gives us peace, yet we still need our family and friends. I am thankful for this time I get to spend with you. I know where I get my drive, ambition, and energy.

    XXOO- Jane

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jane, thanks for your consistent comments. I think there is another writer in the family! I was thinking about your comments and, you know, it is true ... I've never been one to have tons of friends but always one, two or three that know me inside and out and who aren't afraid to speak up when they see me off track or experiencing a peak of joy in my life.

    ReplyDelete