Monday, January 9, 2012

It's a Gorgeous "Son"day

The birds love their bath!
January 8, 2012

Hello there, Readers!  It's a beautiful "Son"day in Central Texas.  The sun is shining brightly and the birds are chirping outside the dining room window.  I've kept my camera beside me in hopes of getting a photo of the little rascals but as soon as I move the curtains, they fly away.  For now, I need to be content to see and listen to them through the sheers!  I am hoping that they will get brave enough that I can sit outside and try to capture their comings and goings!  I am keeping their bowl filled with seed and the bird bath filled with clean water.

Michael decided to come down to the little casa to spend the weekend.  I think he needed his stash of homemade goodies refilled!  I've been in the kitchen making cookies and am going to try a new chicken recipe for dinner tonight.  I feel so blessed to have my kitchen finished.  Everything is so handy and it makes me want to spend more time cooking and baking.  I light my candles, put on some peppy music and I am in heaven!

Earlier today, I tried one of those peel off masks that I got on one of my excursions to Walmart.  I came out of the bathroom and Michael said, "What did you do to your face?"  I laughed and told him that it was supposed to remove all the debris from my face and make it soft.  It was kind of fun ... I peeled it off and, yep, it looked like it did the trick.  Now I just need to work on my fingernails!  When I was in Florida, my daughter treated me to a mani-pedi using gel polish.  That polish lasted five (yes five!) weeks, stayed shiny, and didn't peel.  How about that!  I asked at the nail salon here if they used the gel polish and they looked at me like I was from Mars.  On my next trip back to North Texas, I know I can find a salon that does that sort of thing.  Even with my new eyes, I try do my nails and end up painting my fingers!


Don & Beverly
We have such wonderful neighbors here at the little casa.  Don came over today and asked if he could mow our front yard.  I told him no that I was going to rake up the leaves and use them for mulch in my gardens in the backyard.  Then he asked about the weeds in the back yard and I gratefully accepted his offer.  I did some work in the backyard yesterday but am at kind of a stand still until I scrape up enough moola to get my borders and walkways in.  I was hoping that when the city tore down the old gymnasium they would have some bricks that I could recycle but when I drove over there, there were no bricks in sight.  Maybe someone else got a whole lotta bricks just as the building was being torn down.  Bummers.  Would have been nice to have a piece of history in our own backyard!

Ouch ... it's broken!
You're not going to believe this ... not sure what's going on with my crazy accidents.  First in the New Year I slipped on a pillow getting out of bed and hit the side of my eye on a picture frame (black eye) ... next, I painted the dining room and the clock slipped and crashed (black and blue leg) ... hopefully, with number three, my bad luck is DONE!  I was going into the kitchen from the dining room and stubbed my third toe on the rug (broken toe).  Michael said to me this morning that he thought he should postpone his trip back to North Texas and keep an eye on me.  It hurts to put weight on my foot so I will take this day and do some reading.

I have a Facebook friend Heidi Haagenson (Heidi's father was my high school English teacher) who has written a book, THE TENNEY QUILT - Celebrating the Women of Minnesota's Tiniest Town.  In a post today, she mentioned that the little town of Tenney, Minnesota was disbanding.  How very sad ... yet, the stories of the women of that tiny town will live on.  Isn't the printed word wonderful?  Stories passed on from generation to generation!  Her book is on my list of rereads for 2012.  The women in Heidi's book were of my mother's generation which helped me understand her more.  As I have said before, information comes from many sources.

My focus in 2012 for my blog will be walking in the light.  I have printed out this passage from Ephesians 5:10-14.  "Try to learn what pleases the Lord.  Have nothing to do with worthless things that people do, things that belong to the darkness.  Instead, bring them out to the light (It is really too shameful even to talk about the things they do in secret.)  And when all things are brought out to the light then their true nature is clearly revealed; for anything that is clearly revealed becomes light.  That is why it is said, Wake up, sleeper, and rise from death, and Christ will shine on you." (GNT)

I have reconnected with old friends and family and made new friends on the social media Facebook.  The whole method of communication has been wonderful.  I have a couple of friends who keep me on my toes regarding everything political (MORE than I want to know sometimes but need to know) ... some friends who are blessed with being creative and fashionable ... some friends who love to travel ... some friends who keep me abreast on all things family...  I have a plethora of information at my feet each and every day.  Love it!!

I have to tell you a story...  The lights on my microwave went out.  Michael had to take the whole bottom off to pull the lights out.  He made a trip to Walmart to get bulbs ... they didn't fit ... he made a trip to Ace Hardware to get bulbs ... they didn't fit ... he made a trip to Tuckers for bulbs (they told him he had the right bulbs).  In the meantime, I had the flashlight out and I was fiddling with the bulbs ... I looked into the receptacle and thought I had solved the problem ... it looked like something had broken off inside.  I called Michael on his cell to report.  He came home and quite patiently told me that there was another piece that fit into the receptacle which he had.  He sat down at the dining room table with me and was trying his darnedest to get the bulbs in.  I asked to try.  Finally, he agreed.  I fiddled with it and said, "Michael, you can push the bulbs all you want but they are not going to fit because the (they were clear) sides are wider than the receptacle.  He shook his head, grabbed some nippers, clipped the side of the bulb at the base and ooh wah la, the bulb went in!  The moral of the story?  I don't know enough about fixing things to do it as they are supposed to be done (logic as Michael says).  I know enough to try the illogical and make things work.  Sometimes, you just have to think out of the box!!!  My microwave is now back together and I have my under lights working perfectly.  I told Michael we made a good team!!

On that note, I will say so long ... nap time on a lazy "Son"day afternoon!  Always remember you are loved and prayed for ... YA YOU!!


It's nap time for Toby, too!
Be refreshed with a snooze and enjoy your day!!









 





 

   

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad you liked your gel polish. I'm hooked because it lasts so long. Funny, how something so common place in Florida is unheard of in your area. I wish it was ONLY here...then you'd have to visit every 5 weeks.

    I love your theme for the year. Walking in the light is fantastic. Speaking of light...you need to walk in the bright light, or you will break another bone or trip and fall. Good grief!! You need to be careful 'cause that toe does NOT look good. Both of the girls (Madison and Katrina) went, "ohhhhhhhhh- ewwwwwwww". He!he! Take care and remember--r.i.c.e. (rest, ice, compression, and elevation)

    XXOO~
    Jane

    ReplyDelete