Sunday, January 1, 2012

It's A New Day ... A New Year!


Auld Lang Syne on a little different slant...


It's a new day ... a new year!!  Happy New Year, Readers!  I hope that you had a wonderful New Year's Eve welcoming in 2012 with that special someone!  For some reason, New Year's Eve comes right alongside Valentine's Day for being a romantic cause for celebration.  Michael and I stayed up watching New York bring in the New Year then Dallas.  I've not been to New York and it sure looked like fun ... so did the party at Victory Park in Dallas. 

I woke this morning to the sound of Sadie snoring VERY loudly.  For some reason, she has changed horses and has become my shadow rather than Michael's.  In turn, my cuddle bunny, Toby, has become a real Daddy's boy.  Go figure...  At any rate,  I smiled knowing that, one more time, I was alive to experience a new year.  My mind started going a mile a minute wondering what I should do first besides getting out of my warm snugly bed...  Sadie stretched and let out one of her very vocal yawwwwnnnssss meaning she had to go outside.  I got up on the wrong side of the bed and slipped on a pillow on the floor.  My eye hit the edge of a picture frame, I scraped my knee, and managed to pull some muscles.  Good grief!  I climbed back in bed deciding to do a "do over."

The aroma of freshly brewed coffee was drifting from the kitchen down the hallway.  I was hoping that I would get a hot cup served to me while I shook the cobwebs out of my noggin.  I just LOVE breakfast in bed ... I don't care if it is a biscuit and coffee ... just the thought of gradually waking up to pleasant smells and tastes puts me in a great mood!  I got my wish!!

Before I went to bed, I placed my Daily Walk Bible on my night stand.  I couldn't wait to open it and write "January 1, 2012" above Genesis 1-2.  Just the thought of "I have all the time I need to do all that God intends me to do this year" gave me peace.  Some things I just need to calendar and show up for, other things are surprises.  Those surprises that I don't expect are the icing on my cake of life!

Did you know that God created light first?  Says so in Genesis 1:3.  I promised myself some years ago that I would walk in the light ... that was the beginning of my inner healing.  Before then, I kept too many secrets and the secrets were crowding out the good stuff.  Truth is light to me ... I can deal with truth.  No matter what, I keep those in good esteem who are honest with me ... even if I don't like what they say.  I like imperfect, real people!!

A long time ago now, I attended Alanon.  In fact, I taught some Step Studies there as well.  One of the things that keeps people sick is their inability to let go of bad behavior including resentments.  The alcoholic blames their drinking on someone else or what someone else did ... others blame their own crazy behavior on the alcoholic.  Vicious cycle.  Good news is that if one goes to AA and the other to Alanon and there is real change, relationships are mended and the future looks pretty darn promising.  I've continued to use the Alanon philosophy every day of my life.  It took a long time to totally eradicate the hurt inside me but by gosh, one day I woke up feeling whole and very peaceful.  I am like that now as I start my new year.

Readers, I am the woman at the well that Jesus spoke to.  I am the sinner, the failure, the one with the messed up past.  I am the one that couldn't get marriage right no matter how much I tried.  I had so many flops, fumbles, and messes that I wondered if I was worth anything.  You know what?  God has used me to minister to other people just like me.  I am not here to judge anyone and people feel comfortable with me.  I share my story and hold out my hand.  The good Lord has redeemed me and used my past for good.  My children are two of the most loving, kind people around.  Somehow, I managed to raise them telling (and showing) them that I loved them and God loved them;  they, in turn, are raising their children telling (and showing) them that they love them and that God loves them.  Good stuff!

In the mid eighties, I not only became a Stephen's Minister but also was on the Board of Directors that established the first women's shelter in Collin County Texas.  I had attended one year of classes for the Stephen's Ministry and was also on the speaker's forum for the shelter.  I learned to allow people space to talk about whatever was on their hearts without my mouth gaping open or judging them.  I knew how I felt when a holier than thou person looked down on me or preached to me.  I could relate to their pain.  I also had that spark of tough love in me not allowing myself to jump into the hole to commiserate.  I learned early on to "stick with winners" and figure out what made them successful and whole.  As a teacher, I remained teachable...

Why am I telling you all this?  Because it's a new day, a new year, a new beginning.  I hope that you will follow my blogs in 2012 so that we can walk the road of life together.  You are not alone.  If you're struggling that's ok ... if you're not, that's fabulous. Either way, you will be able to relate to my road to wholeness!  Just don't you ever give up and quit!!!

What are your plans for today?  Maybe you are having a big New Years dinner ... maybe you are on pins and needles waiting for your favorite football team to make their way on to the field like I am.  Go Cowboys!!  No matter what you are doing, I hope that you will take a few minutes and think about 2012.  Let's just not take up space... Agreed?

My neighbor Beverly just brought over some black eyed peas (a southern tradition for New Year's Day).  She'd been over earlier and I think she felt sorry for black eyed Dottie!  The peas themselves are rather blah but I add onion, ham, and other spices to make them quite yummy!  Come to think of it life can be rather blah ... it's what we add to it that makes all the difference!!  Join me in spicing up your day and celebrating the new beginning before us!!

Always remember you are loved and prayed for, YA YOU!!



From my garden to yours, Happy New Year!



 





 

 


1 comment:

  1. Happy New Year! What a great time of year. People are rejuvinated and excited to get their lives back on track. Our country could definitely use a boost in moral and what better time to start than today?!

    Gosh, I hope you are okay after your stumble. He! He! You literally started your day on the wrong foot. Be careful :0)

    Ahhhh- when I look back at 2011 I can definitely say that it was a year of difficulties, sadness, and separation. I am so grateful for the New Year as it offers hope. My family has come so far from where we were and I am grateful to God for watching over us. I don't mean to focus on the negative as there were many positives to 2011. The highlight...you visited twice! I have so much fun with you and look forward to your next visit. The girls have lots of activies coming up and always want Grandma "." to be there.

    I am looking forward to your 2012 blog.

    Love ya,
    Jane

    ReplyDelete