Sunday, October 31, 2010

School Days, School Days...Oh What Blessings Those Years Were


The Fall  flowers in the garden are welcoming!

Good Afternoon!
It is so beautiful here today I can hardly stand it.  The little ones will have good weather to trick 'n' treat.

I can't believe that 2010 is winding down.  My Christmas crates are rumbling out in the garage saying, "open me, open me!"  There must be something in my families genes that causes us to go nuts about Christmas.  My father made all his Christmas decorations and won many General Electric awards for his creativity.  My children and I have all carried on the traditions.  My son always puts lights up for me on Thanksgiving for my December 2 birthday.  We all stand across the street and go "Wow" as Tommy flips the switch!

Today we joined Community North Baptist Church.  There are only 259 members in the church and I truly believe that it's a place where my gifts can be of use.  The card ministry will get going starting tomorrow!!  Since I have been commissioned as a Stephens Minister I also feel comfortable doing lay counseling.


Dorothy-Graduation-17
 I've been thinking about how blessed I was to grow up in a small town where most everyone knew each other.  So many of the children that I started kindergarten with I also graduated with.  I don't remember any kind of bullying going on and most homes had the telephone in the center of the house (some shared party lines) so there really were no big secrets.  I had no problem bounding out of bed to get to school early enough to have some time to chat with friends even though we'd talked for hours on the phone the night before.  Your last name was important and my Grandmother Maggie (her parents immigrated from Norway in the 1850's) always would say...we're American, speak good English and remember to make your name one of honor.  I had some of the same teachers that my dad had.  Anyone remember "Cece"?  Oh my goodness how we teased that poor woman.  The more upset she got the redder her rouge got!

Dorothy-Band-1963
 I would say that one of my saving graces as a child suffering from trauma and emotional abuse was that I was a good student, my teachers K-12 were great encouragers and I had a group of friends that were really died in the wool friends.  I wish I had some of my photos to post because they were so precious...I can see the photos in my mind (the one where we are cheerleaders for the Tigers and I am in the center of the photo holding a tiger)...hot dog pizza parties at Elaines, slumber parties, walks down country roads at Lynda's, teen dances at school and the Lakeside Ballroom, proms where we got all beautified up for the Grand March and an evening of dancing and fun.  Alcohol? Naaa  Drugs? Naaa  Speaking of the Lakeside Ballroom...as teens we enjoyed all the teen idols (Jerry Lee Lewis really did kick the piano bench off the stage!).  The Lakeside Ballroom was also a place were many of our parents met during the Big Band Era.  Many a Saturday night, we would park outside the ballroom by the lake, sit on our cars and listen to the music.  My friend, Elaine, was the only friend I had who had a car so it was she that drove us to towns nearby to check out the action.  There was also band and choir to participate in. 



Dorothy & Jonathan - "When at night..."
 In fifth or sixth grade, Mrs. Wells directed the operetta Hansel and Gretel staring "me" as Gretel and Jonathan P. as Hansel.  Kay S. made a great witch.  The whole town was invited and it was quite a celebration.  Sometimes when I am sad, I find myself singing the song - When at night I go to sleep, 14 angels watch do keep...  The blanks in my life centered around life at home but the wonderful times at Glenwood Elementary, Middle School, and High School are memories I cherish.  There was never a dull moment with first loves, football/basketball/wrestling, roller skating, and Girl Scouts.  I am soooo grateful!  I wish all children could experience the years I had at school!

Home life was different.  Most of the time, I faded into the woodwork and didn't make waves.  I remember my father either mowing the lawn, or sitting at the kitchen counter smoking one cigarette after another and drinking coffee..he was always working doing something. We rarely spoke.   He was in pain a lot ... he said from shrapnel from the war and arthritis.  I loved my dad a lot but most of the time when he spoke to me, it was of a demeaning nature.  My mother had Rheumatoid Arthritis and was ill a lot.  I will say that they were devoted to each other and when my mother's rheumatoid arthritis got really bad, he took over almost all the chores at home as well as helping her with her exercises.  I don't remember my brother being around at all and that makes me sad.  My father would get "triggers" and those triggers would erupt into bouts of loud anger towards me.  Maybe they were there as a child but I only remember their severity starting at the age of 12.  With every boyfriend, he was afraid that I was going to get pregnant and curfews were very tight.  Little did he know that I was not involved in any improper behavior and my teen years were filled with being a "lady" as you would say in the South.  If I was invited to a party, he would say "Who do you think you are" (he seemed to think everyone was better than me and why should I be invited to anything).  One night Lynda and I went roller skating and got home just a few minutes past curfew.  My dad met us at the door and called me amongst other things, a whore.  I was so embarrassed.  Thank God Lynda, who was my best friend and knew everything about me knew that would never be true.  It still hurt.  When I told my mom, she just said that he was only worried about me.  That didn't help either.  I needed her to stand up for me...I needed anyone to stand up for me!

Confirmation-Glenwood Lutheran Church-1961
 There were some other things too that gave me strength:  going to church, and my Grandma Maggie.  I loved her so much and she was always good to me.  I remember her sitting in her rocking chair looking out the window at the bird house and reading her Norwegian Bible.  She would dress up every day and put on a pin either on her dress or sweater to receive guests.  She made egg coffee and made a cup up for me to try adding milk and sugar.  I must admit, it was pretty good - especially when she had homemade cookies to dunk in the coffee.  Grandma Maggie's house always smelled so good and I loved the way she always had everything in the "parlor" looking so pretty.  There were always lots of guests at her house -- people seemed to be drawn to her.  At Christmas Aunt Alida would play the piano and we would all sing then open the handmade gifts that Alida and Grandma had made for each of us.  Grandma Maggie was a survivor and an overcomer - she'd had both breasts removed and had skin cancer in later life.  She just kept on going and I loved that about her...she died 3 days short of her 100th birthday and believe me, there were many in that town, family and friends that mourned her loss and cherished her heritage.  She taught all her grandchildren the Norwegian table prayer - when I am eating alone, I sometimes say that prayer and smile.  There's so much history with my Grandmother Maggie and also my mother's Hall side of the family that I'll be blogging on them at another date.  I think our family trees are so important!


This is my prayer chair.  I love it because I can sit and look outside at my front garden and it's peaceful there.  I think everyone should have a place that is special...where we can go to escape from the crazy world around us.  I've always created that for myself and it gives me a sense of taking care of my soul....a place for me to read my Bible(s) and think about what's really important in life.  What do I want my legacy to be?  Funny, how our kids remember certain things about us...for years, I wore the perfume Youth Dew by Estee Lauder.  They tell me that whenever they smell that scent, they think of me.  I catch a whiff of it too and still like it!

 My oldest granddaughter who is just out of high school is having surgery on Monday and the whole family is very anxious about that.  She had ovarian cancer when she was born and has been cancer free for many years.  All of a sudden, she is dealing with another tumor and a fallopian tube filled with fluid.  Somehow, I just wish I could take away her pain physically and the pain she may experience if she is unable to have children.  For those of you reading this, please pray for Brittany.
Brittany - 20 Years Old

The Promise Study Edition  of the Bible Psalm 23 gives us comfort.  This is a Psalm written by David.

You LORD, are my shepherd.  I will never be in need.
    You let me rest in fields of green grass.
You lead me to streams of peaceful water,
    and you refresh my life.

You are true to your name,
    and you lead me along the right paths.
I may walk through valley as dark as death,
    but I won't be afraid.
You are with me,
   and your shepherd's rod makes me feel safe.

You treat me to a feast while my enemies watch.
You honor me as your guest,
    and you fill my cup until it overflows.

Your kindness and love will always be with me each day of my life,
    and I will live forever in your house, LORD.

Oh, what would we do without the comfort of the Lord in our lives?  He fills the holes that nothing and no one else can fill.  Have a wonderful day, my friends and consider yourselves prayed for!  It's a beautiful day to be alive and kicking!

  




1 comment:

  1. Your stories are vividly written. I can visualize what you are writing about and I smell your Grandmother's coffee and spritz cookies. You can be proud of your heritage! Your father was obviously affected by the war. Who knows what he saw and experienced. I am sad you didn't have a father to give you unconditional love; every girl deserves that special relationship. Keep writing Mama Mia!!

    ReplyDelete