Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Christmas thoughts in 2010...

This evening, I was thinking about Christmas, our economy, what we expect from ourselves and others, and how to provide not only for ourselves but also for those who aren't able to right now.  Every time I see someone ringing a bell for the Salvation Army, Toys for Tots, or other charitable organizations, I dig into my coin purse and give what I have.  I pray hoping that God will use my loose change to His best advantage.  Our Sunday School Class at Church is adopting a family ... the children want clothes and coats.  Maybe there should also be a toy or two?

God expects us to be diligent and work hard.  I've heard it said so many times that our young people want to get paid but they don't want to work hard and only when they feel like it. Too many children have been given so much that they think, "Why work hard when I can get what I want for free?"  This is called entitlement.  People who feel entitled live difficult lives now.  The United States of America is suffering from it's greed and it's Christmas!  So what do we do??

In 2008, I was working for an insurance company. In the blink of an eye, the division was sold and almost all of the employees were laid off.  It was a shock because all of us had been working so hard to get our division on track and making a profit.  We knew it was going to be tough sledding but we all dug in to do the best we could.  To become "just a number" in our country's lay offs was hard.  Most of us in the company felt that we wanted to work there until retirement.  Sometimes life throws a curve ball and we don't see it coming.  In one day I went from employed to unemployed to working with career advisers to fine tuning my resume'.  I wandered from place to place as I was directed similar to a robot.  I learned that day that work was something not to be taken lightly.  There are many in our country who can relate and with Christmas coming up, there are many a dad and mom who are wondering if they will be able to provide food for their families much less gifts.  Families that had never worried about putting presents on credit cards now face guilt because there's no more credit available.

I don't know whether it's good to be poor or to be rich then have everything taken away.  When I go to the little casa, I am surrounded by people who are struggling.  Many of the wealthy people who lived there have moved on and don't need their services.  The lady across the street from me, brought me a small jar of strawberry jam and to wish us a Merry Christmas.  She too had had water problems in her older home only it was the pipe below the floor.  She looked sad but then, all of a sudden, there was that touch of coming together in the face of adversity.  We both were trying to salvage our homes from the ravages of water.  We, as a people, have come together from the beginning of time and, most likely we will now too.

There has been so much in the news about landslides, flooding, tornadoes, etc.  We got a small taste of it when our little casa suffered from a split cap on a pipe.  It gave us a small taste of what other countries as well as our own are going through with natural disasters.  We must have 2 bathrooms, a bedroom for each child, the latest in technology..  Must??  I wonder...



I collected unemployment for some months before I was offered a similar position with another insurance company.  I felt blessed because I was able to regroup and find something.  There were times though when I felt guilty, was I working hard enough to find work?  Were my guidelines too strict?  Was my "I won't" list longer than my "I will" list?  Was I asking for God's will for my life or was I plodding through the waters on my own?  The biggest thing I had to overcome was my age ... sad but true.  Our society has become quite focused on what we look like and not so much on what we can do.  Women and men are scrambling to plastic surgeons and filling their faces with fillers and botox trying to get to the front of the line when there are hundreds of resumes for one position.  Those in high paying position often times live in fear because "they might be next..."

Last March, I left my position because of health reasons and that has been a huge adjustment for me.  I would prefer working and paying my own way in this world.  My doctor won't let me go back to work; however, I was turned down for Social Security Disability.  Interesting...  I am now waiting on the Long Term Disability Benefits decision from my former employer.  It's been a long time, since I put a check in the bank and sometimes that scares me.  I've always been a worker bee ... I was a stay at home mom for a good many years; however, when money got tight, I sold Avon, babysat and a couple times held down part time jobs so we could get on our feet.  I was born over-responsible!!  It's been a hard adjustment fraught with the willingness of my mind to work and the pain telling me that I am not able.

In my lifetime I have seen change similar to the change my grandparents saw.  My grandparents' farm home didn't have an indoor bathroom until I was into grade school.  I was there when they lined up to take a private bath!!  Technology is moving at warp speed.  Our grandchildren are using computers before they go to school in kindergarten.  I've seen Christmas change too ... A LOT!!  And, I might add ... not for the better.

During World War II, there were rations and people were forced to focus on "needs" not wants.  Needs were simple... My grandmother said that the best Christmas gift she ever got was when my father came home from the war.  My mother said the same thing when my brother came home from Viet Nam.  Many of our people now are hoping the same thing ... that their children will come home from the different places in the world where wars are still being fought.  Somehow the latest gadget seems silly in comparison.  The focus was more on relationships when I was growing up ... now, it's more on the material things.  I am as guilty of this as anyone ... I am a giver and a helper.  I have had to rethink my views about Christmas.  As a grownup, I can't remember too many of the gifts I've gotten over the years for Christmas.  What I do remember are the family get-togethers and the joy and laughter.  I felt like I belonged to something bigger than just myself.



Christmas 1946 ... I still love that movie, IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE.  Watch it this Christmas season if you can.  It's a story about a man who always puts others first in his life.  The plot thickens when he thinks that he's let everyone down and contemplates suicide.  I always get chills at the ending!  Maybe, just maybe it can touch your heart like it's touched mine.

I am learning to depend on the good Lord for my protection and provision and so far, He's met my needs.  I was asking myself today ... "Where is your treasure?"  I thought about that a lot because it says in Matthew 6:21 "Where your treasure is, there your heart will be also."  I want my heart to be in the right place. 

Yes, the world's economy is unstable.  My friend, Brooks, told me that "there are no guarantees except God's economy."  I believe that more than ever this Christmas.  If you are struggling this Christmas season, lean on the Lord and give Him your troubles.  Do what you can and leave the rest to Him.  Gather your entire family close and let each other know how important each of you are to each other.  A small gift given with love is more precious than much with a Scrooge-like heart. 


Two Cuddled Together Keep Warm!


My youngest grandchild, Nicholas, is five today.  He is a happy little boy with big brown eyes and curly hair ... he is alive with life and plays with gusto.  The world is his playground and his imagination takes him wherever he wants to go.  Because Nicholas is the youngest of my grandchildren, it is bitter-sweet to see him growing up so quickly.  Happy Birthday, Saint Nicholas ... now why would his father nickname him "Animal"?  Could it be that he is a rather rambunctious boy??  He has his Christmas Program at preschool tonight.  I'll just bet he shines!! 


Christmas Blessings Everyone ... You are Loved...YA YOU!!

      





1 comment:

  1. Yeah! Happy Birthday Nicholas!!

    Thank you for words of inspiration. This weekend I am going to give my family the gift of 100% presence. I will only focus on them and find joy in making them feel important. Your words reminded me that I often am distracted by work, reading, working out, cleaning the house, shopping, etc., etc., etc., THIS weekend it is all about Tim (Happy 42nd Birthday!), Madison, and Katrina...

    ReplyDelete