Saturday, December 4, 2010

Santa Claus is Coming to Town

I love Santa's!

Good Morning!  Brrrr...it's chilly outside.  But....the sun is out and it is sooo pretty.  I watered my Winter flowers and got some good old Vitamin D!  We're going to head out to the malls to do some birthday and Christmas shopping!

Here comes Santa Claus, here comes Santa Claus, right down Santa Claus lane...  Remember that song from the "good old days"?  I love Santa Claus and just finished reading A SPECIAL PLACE FOR SANTA written by Jeanne Pieper.  If you are looking for a book for a little one for Christmas, this would be an excellent choice.  It is about the Santa in the picture below.

One of my favorite Santa's is one where he is paying homage to the Christ child.  In a society where Christmas is so commercialized, he reminds me of the REAL REASON FOR THE SEASON.

As a child, I would listen for the pawing of Santa's reindeer on the roof of our house.  I would ask the usual questions about Santa - "Mom, Dad, we don't have a chimney so how will Santa get in?"  They would always assure me that Santa would find a way into the house especially since I had put out cookies and milk for Santa and a carrot for the reindeer.

Like most other holidays, Christmas was cause for a great celebration with family.  My father's side of the family was more Christian based in their celebrations.  My Aunt Alida played the piano and we all sang Christmas Carols.  My Uncle Lester would get out the bottle of Mogan David wine and we all would make a Christmas toast.  I remember a Christmas at my mother's family farm but most Christmas Eve's were spent at my Aunt Laura's and Uncle Cloyde's.  They had a basement with a big tree -- the adults ate oyster stew and the children ate  chili.  Our family always got home for midnight candlelight church which was always so beautiful.  They sang Norwegian Christmas Carols with gusto...  Later on, the Norwegian Carols faded away.  I can sing the carols in my mind and it makes me smile.  The part that makes me sad is that when my grandmother's passed so did the get-togethers.  Everyone seemed to go their own way and develop their own traditions.  As a child these memories have been so important to me!    

 One of my favorite stories as a child was Twas the Night Before Christmas.  I didn't know that before this poem was written, St. Nicholas was noted as the Patron Saint of Children and had no reindeer or sleigh.  While I was at the little casa, I reread the book A NATION OF IMMIGRANTS written by former President John F. Kennedy.  It was interesting because as the immigrants came to America so did their traditions.  It was such an awesome book to read as it explained how each ethnic group brought different ideas and talents.  It really changed my view of immigrants and how important they were to our country's history.



My Santa's represent my childhood dreams and the Santa that still resides in my heart.  One of the favorite things that I have enjoyed doing at Christmas is playing Santa to a needy family (anonymously).  Not everyone is as fortunate and especially now when the economy is so bad.  There are children who want coats instead of toys and for their mothers and daddies to get jobs.  Times are a changin' and maybe that's not so bad.  There are lots of free Christmas entertainment festivities for families to enjoy this year!  We sure enjoyed the Dickens Christmas!!

 One of my favorite things to do is to decorate Christmas trees.  I enjoy putting on some Christmas music and making bows for the trees and packages.  It was my mother in law's hope to have a "Santy" Claus Christmas at the little casa this year.  She loves "Santy" Claus.  If nothing else, it makes me sad that the water damage is going to hinder her dream...at least for another year.  I brought a Santa Claus and tree for her shelf in the nursing home.  "Santy" Claus just may have to come to the nursing home again this year!  Hopefully next year!!!


Usually, after Christmas, I pick up a Santa Claus and a few special ornaments.  I'm not one of those nuts that are in the stores the day after Christmas; however, I find that people don't buy the Santa Clauses ... so, I usually find them marked wayyyy down.  This Santa was one of those along with the lighted sleigh.  He sits beside the Candy Cane Tree in the foyer.  Michael teases me ... he thinks we should leave the decorations up all year and just call our home "The House of Christmas".   Somehow, I think it just adds excitement to put away our treasures then unwrap them the next year!!

My son was born December 16 and came home in a red Christmas stocking.  His son, Nicholas was born on December 7 (we often call him Saint Nicholas).  Both were such wonderful Christmas gifts.  My son in law also has a December birthday and so do I ...  Ho Ho Ho!!!  December is really a month of celebration for our family and the Santa's add to that joy!




Christmas in Texas is wonderful.  We're all wondering if we will get snow for Christmas this year like we did last year.  In the meantime, it has been pleasant and fun to get out and enjoy the Christmas decorations.  My son usually puts up lights on my house but I'm going to pass this year...my disability is still pending and with no money coming in, we need to conserve.  WATCH OUT NEXT YEAR THOUGH!!

Countdown to Christmas is ticking away ... I wish you and yours a great day!  Always remember, YOU ARE LOVED ... YA YOU!!

1 comment:

  1. Santy Claus--love it!!! You and Michael's mom have a strong common bond; you adore Santy Claus. It's interesting the different ways Santa is portrayed by artists. It isn't in my daily budget, yet I am lucky enough to have a Santa Claus by Mark Roberts. He is in my front foyer--displayed proudly. He is joyful, gorgeous, and precious...just like the woman who gave him to me :0)

    Love you,
    Jane

    ReplyDelete