Thursday, December 9, 2010

Yes, Jane, there is a Santa Claus...the story of Hamilton Elf!

Dottie & Hamilton, Santa's Elf
Good Morning from me and Hamilton Elf!  We're reporting that it's a bit on the nippy side this morning in North Texas but toasty warm inside.  Don't know about you, but a good fire warms the heart and the soul.  I have miles to go before I sleep tonight and Hamilton Elf is helping me!  Did you know that we might have another white Christmas this year?

Meeting Hamilton Elf!
Yes, Jane, there is a Santa Claus!  The night after Thanksgiving, Michael and I had the opportunity to go to Dickens Christmas on the Square.  During our tour of all the little shops, we met Hamilton Elf.  We were so mesmerized with him that Michael and I had our photos taken to remember him by.  There was just something about him ... his eyes sparkled like he knew something we didn't know.  We kept coming back to take another look.  We couldn't resist this nearly full sized elf.  We decided that Santa needed him this time of year so after taking one last good-bye, we went on to the next shop.

We talked a lot about Hamilton Elf and how unique he was.  His coat was made of wonderful damask cloth in olive green...his hat made of green and black velvet and his tights were a bright Christmasy stripe.  He was hard to forget.  He was a one of a kind elf with a hefty heritage ... no more elves would ever be put together like Hamilton Elf.

Yesterday, I was talking with my daughter, Jane, and she said to look under the tree and see if there was a big bag from her family for me.  I crawled under the two trees and came up empty handed.  Not only was there no bag, there were no gifts under the tree at all!  She sounded disappointed but said to ask Michael about it.

Last night I had a restless night.  Pain was moving through my body waking me every couple hours.  When I finally was able to move off my bed, I sought Michael out calling his name ... "Michael, where are you?"  He answered with a cheerful, "In the office."  I shuffled in there and laid down on the couch next to his desk.  We exchanged some small talk and then, I asked him about the package that Jane sent.  He smiled and made a trip to his car...


He came back with a large Christmas Bag, carrying it from the bottom...it looked very heavy.  I sat up and started pulling out the Christmas tissue of red and green ... oh, my goodness, it was Hamilton Elf!!  How did Jane know about our bonding with him?

The day after our trip to Dickens on the Square, I posted the photos of our adventure.  Jane looked at the photos and some of the storefronts and called the store where Hamilton Elf had been working this Christmas.  She asked if Hamilton Elf was still available and when the clerk said, "Yes", she asked if Hamilton Elf could be wrapped and put on hold until Michael could pick him up ... Hamilton Elf had work to do for her mother!


Hamilton Elf comes into my home & heart!





Hamilton Elf was so happy to come out of that bag! He'd sat patiently in there for many days with his legs all scrunched up waiting for his next assignment.  I gave a squeal as Hamilton Elf emerged and ran all over wondering where he should oversee Christmas.  My greatest fear was that Sadie and Toby would think that he toys he held were for them so he needed to be in a place where he felt safe and could do his work without scanning the room for some lurking dogs ready to steal his toys.

How in the world did Santa know that I needed Hamilton Elf this Christmas?  He had a wonderful helper and mighty determined detective by the name of Jane who found the exact Hamilton Elf that had come into my life that Dickens on the Square night in 2010.  If you wondering ... yes, my children and I have quite a heartful connection and sometimes, we "just know..." and we truly care about each other.  God has blessed me wayyyyyyyyyy beyond blessings with my children and grandchildren.  We've come together accepting one another in feast and famine, trial and error, as the imperfect people we are.  Love has no bounds in the relationship we share yet we all are free to make mistakes, grow and share the journey!

So, yes, Jane, there is a Santa Claus and he uses people just like you to make the lives of others just a little bit brighter ... in my case, a whole lot brighter!!

You know, this story reminds me of our relationship with God ... He answers prayer and sends his ambassadors like you and me to help those on earth.  So, be on guard ... He may be putting some people in front of you this Christmas that need your warmth and tenderness.  Open your heart to those who need that hug, that encouragement, that bit of Heaven here on earth!


Christmas Countdown continues ... Michael, Hamilton Elf, and I wish you the best day ever this December 9, 2010!
Remember you are loved and prayed for ... YA YOU!








1 comment:

  1. Mom - giving to you is the best gift to myself this Christmas. As I went through the day, people at work seemed especially crabby and cold. Scowls across faces and bitter remarks to light-hearted comments made my day sad. Your gratefulness has filled me with spirit. Thank you for U!!! I love you so much- Thank you for loving me so much :0)

    ReplyDelete