Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Let's Linger at the Manger!



Joyous Christmas greetings from the Sunny South!!  I'd heard several weeks ago that there was a possibility for snow this Christmas Eve.  Nah...I doubt it.  I was walking around barefoot doing a little gardening yesterday!  Today, I have kept a fire going in the chiminea ... how fun!  With Texas weather you never know exactly what is going to happen ... we can hope for some white fluffy stuff!


Nearly everyone remembers the Christmas Carol, Away In A Manger ... I thought about that today as I rearranged the nativity scene in the living room.  It has wooden figures starting with the babe in the manager and builds from there.  Love it!  When my kids used to spend Christmas Eve here, I'd bake a birthday cake for Jesus and Brittany, Zachary and Nicholas would love to put baby Jesus on the cake.  It was a way of bringing Christ into Christmas along with the packages that were waiting to be opened!  Sometimes, I just like to play with the nativity scene wondering where everyone stood or sat looking at the baby born to save the world.  Oh what a glorious night that must have been.  Seems like everyone is in such a rush these days ... no time to linger and savor all that there is to Christmas.  Then, it's over and on to the New Year...  What a shame!  My childrens' paternal grandfather always read the Christmas story from the Bible on Christmas Eve.  That was new to me and I thought it was pretty neat ... it set the stage for a very merry Christmas Eve.  He was a fine man!


Saturday we met daughter, Stephanie, for lunch and exchanged Christmas gifts.  She is headed south this Christmas and was kind enough to take a box of gifts to Michael's daughter, Angie, and family.  We also took in Trade Days to check out the Christmas specials ... It's always fun to visit the different booths and search for that special treasure that we can't live without!  There was an author of children's books there for a book signing and it was great fun to talk to her about the book she wrote and her many awards.  She self-publishes and has an illustrator who lives close to her.  The closer the New Year gets, I am thinking more and more about two different books.  One about Hamilton Elf and one about "moi".  We'll just see what happens!


I have reconnected with several of my cousins from my father's side of the family.  My Aunt Helen who is 95 lives close to her daughter and I can't wait to get the card and photo promised.  My other Aunt Lorna is 97 ... longevity runs in female side of my father's family...the men weren't so lucky!  Cards from my cousins are coming in and they make me feel so warm inside.  They are good people and I am celebrating that Norwegian heritage that gave all of us such strength ... ask a cousin who their hero was and I'll bet Grandma Maggie is right up there!!  I sure am praying that I can make a trip to not only Florida in the New Year but also a trip to the north land.  I have lots of family that I want to visit with as well as some pretty awesome friends.


My 40 days of prayer has become such a special time.  I have found that as I give the first fruits of my day to the one who makes my life special, my day is filled with extra ordinary happenings.  I know that He is working behind the scenes to care for my provision and protection and that gives me peace.  My prayer list continues to grow and something inside of me is mellowing ...  3 John was my Bible reading today regarding fellowship with my brothers and sisters in Christ.  Our hospitality speaks volumes about our Christianity and being  ... other-oriented.  My father's family was always so warm and hospitable and I learned so much from them.  It didn't matter who you were, when you walked through their doors, you felt like you were in Heaven ...  There was coffee and cookies or often times a meal to share. ... there were smiles and hugs and stories to tell.  There was no way to have a bad day if you visited in one of their homes...Alida, Blanche, Eleanor, Lorna, and Helen.  What beautiful women they were and are!!


We received a call and the kitchen cabinets have arrived for the little casa.  I am hoping that the week after Christmas will find our contractor, Lupe, and his crew mighty busy.  I am ready for another quiet visit to soak in some small-town hospitality.  I've met some pretty wonderful people already!


My computer got a virus yesterday and is in bad shape.  I am using Michael's computer which is very complex compared to mine.  Funny how I get used to "things" being a certain way!  I am stumbling through my blog without access to my photos.  Computers .... I have a love hate relationship with them.


Mark Roberts Christmas Elf
Anyway, it's beginning to look a lot like Christmas ... everywhere I go ...  Santa hats are everywhere and I get a giggle every time I pass by a man, woman or child wearing one.  What a wonderful message!


Time is a ticking ... hope all of you are done shopping and ready for a Christmas that you can savor all year long ... and, don't forget to linger at the manger!


You are loved and prayed for...YA YOU!

1 comment:

  1. Texas weather- I remember one time when I was in High School and the rain turn to ice and Tommy and I couldn't get to front door!! We would try and run up the hill to no avail--we would slide back to were we started. Quite funny when I recall the day :0))

    I love the idea: a book about Hamilton. He is special in your heart and life. I can see the creative juices starting to flow-

    ReplyDelete