Thursday, December 2, 2010

Joy in the Midst of Trouble


Philippians 2:14-16~~In everything you do, stay away from complaining and arguing, so that no one can speak  a word of blame against you.  You are to live clean, innocent lives as children of God in a dark world full of people who are crooked and stubborn.  Shine out among them like beacon lights, holding out to them, the Word of Life.”

Tuesday, November 30, 2010
I have started reading The Daily Walk Bible with devotional helps.  It really helps me stay on track.  I started Philippians today which is a letter of joy written by Paul from a Roman prison to a church he founded on his second missionary journey.  (Acts 16)  In spite of his circumstances, he encourages them in the midst of persecution to “always be full of joy to the Lord.”  (4:4)
I feel like Michael and I have walked through trials the past couple days.  It has helped to stay busy moving forward.  Redoing the little casa has been quite an undertaking – the house is only 850 square feet so you’d think it would have been a piece of cake.  Seven and a half years ago, our new home was built from a bare lot to move in within three months!  Maybe it’s taken so long for the little casa because we’ve wanted to maintain as much of the original house as possible…I’m not sure.  Maybe we are masochists?!
I thought today…if Paul could find joy in prison, I certainly could find joy in what we are going through now.  “You are in good hands with Allstate! “ Welllll…..we have yet to connect with an adjuster and we were swimming in water.  When I walked in the back door Sunday night, I thought I must have been in one of those showers that shoot water from every direction!  Thank goodness for Lupe and his crew ~~ Michael and I could have been praying for a canoe!!
Lupe came over yesterday to assess the damage in the daylight.  Why is it that things don’t look as bad in the dark??  The original wood floors are going to need to be sanded and redone in the kitchen, dining room, living room and hallway.  The ceilings in the kitchen and living room will need to be redone as well as the walls in the kitchen and living room ... that’s not all but it gives you a good idea of what a few days of water spraying can do to a house!
I got to thinking about life today as I was wielding a rake this afternoon.  Light and darkness don’t mix well.  To walk in darkness when (you think) no one knows can be quite comforting UNTIL the light begins to shine on the darkness.  That’s why I keep my slate clean … if I lie, I have to remember who, what, when, where.  If I walk in the light and tell the truth, I don’t need to remember anything because truth is what it is!
I think many of us come from families where there are some “unique” individuals.  All you have to do is watch Christmas Vacation and you will find the antics of family members quite amusing.  Sometimes, I think that’s good … We can all be a little quirky in what we do and say.  I know that I’ve had friends and family members that were so special to me … my Uncle Cloyde, smoked these huge cigars and had a huge belly … he was quite a jokester…  I always looked forward to time spent with Uncle Cloyde and Aunt Laura.  We all have definite personalities and are special in our own right.  It’s when a quirkiness turns ugly that funniness turns to being bad.   Why do families stay quiet when they should speak out??  I’m not sure I will ever know the answer to that.   All I can say is that I am an advocate for children and adults who have been abused.  So many, after hearing my testimony, come forward and almost whisper, “I wish I had the courage to speak out like you do.  Thank you!”  Well, I’m going to keep on doing it!
Maybe it’s because I am getting older and I’m my own person … I care what people think of me BUT I care more about what God thinks of me.  I want my children to truly know who I am and what I am about.  I want them to know what it’s like to dance at age 63 (almost 64) and enjoy life in a childlike yet responsible way!  I want them to be proud of me knowing that I am not afraid to stand up for what is right.  That’s been tough for me because I never want to hurt anyone’s feelings.  I finally realized that not everyone is going to like me no matter what I do or say.  I’ve also realized that oftentimes, it’s not what a person says but what they do that speaks the loudest.  I have thin skin and get my feelings hurt easily BUT hopefully, my skin has thickened and I am able to focus on …JOY!!!  Remember that song, “I’ve got the joy, joy, joy, joy down in my heart, down in my heart…”  That was my song when I was raking today!!  Funny thing?  I REALLY meant it!!
Lucky, for me, the man who mows this huge lot during the summer, stopped by and asked if he could rake and clean up the yard for me.  His price was ridiculously low and I said not only yes but YES!!!!!  He is busy mulching & raking as I write.  My arms were getting pretty tired and even after filling 25 bags, it looked like I hadn’t done anything…  Oh well, soon the yard will be all pretty. 
Do you have joy?  Or, should I say are you living a joyful life?  What really matters?  I ask that of myself quite often because life can be a bummer depending on what I concentrate on.

Sadie on Watch In The Backyard

I love it here at the little casa.  I am writing and Toby and Sadie are laying at my feet.  They’ve had a busy day getting wind of the many rabbits, squirrels, and other varmints that pass through the back yard.  Life is peaceful here.  It’s different than living in the city.  In some ways, it’s sort of sad…this town used to be a town where many famous Texans lived and worked … now, so many of the old homes are falling down and stores have been abandoned.  I don’t know how a city manager could allow this to happen but it did and has happened in many Texas towns.  Jobs are found in the city and the young folks have moved away  to support their families forgetting what was once a booming community.
Later:  Yea!  Blackman Mooring is here assessing the damage to the house.  Since the house was built in the late 1930’s the house itself has it’s own quirkiness.  They are installing fans to dry out the insulation in the attic and walls and floor.   They will also take the oriental rugs to clean and sanitize.  They have a good reputation so I am thankful…  Things are drying out and I have my trusty can of Lysol at my side!  :o)  I will be here awhile it seems!
I will be headed to Starbucks for a coffee and to read emails and post my blog later in the week.  I will be so glad when I have the Internet hooked up on Friday.  I’ll probably miss those cold caramel flavored coffees though!!  I also need to make my daily trip to Walmart to pick up some wire to make some bows for the floral arrangements.
Oh, the joy that Christmas music brings to my heart!
I wish you love and blessings this wonderful Texas December day!!!
Remember, you are loved and prayed for … YA YOU!!


1 comment:

  1. Beautiful mess; the little casa. I'm glad that you have supportive people around you. Very timely visitors and helpers--I think someone is watching over you. Love you!! Jane

    ReplyDelete