Sunday, October 21, 2012

Just for Today, I Choose...


Good Morning Sunshine!
October 20, 2012
 
Some years ago, I was in a meeting.  The facilitator handed out a paper entitled, Just for Today.  I've kept it in my special box as something to review every now and then.  Today was just one of those days ... I woke up to two sets of black eyes staring at me.  My dogren were wagging their tails, "Get up Mom!"  Michael had brought me a piping hot cup of coffee and I sat up thinking ... "Today, I have the freedom to choose."  I jumped out of bed, flipped on my radio, and danced towards the bathroom excited to start my day.
 
Yesterday, we had visited Mom in the nursing home.  She was very depressed and sad.  The nurses had put her to bed -- she had developed a sore on her tail bone and they wanted to get off of it for awhile.  She was sure that we all were keeping something from her -- she wanted to know how many days she had to live.  I told her that only Jesus knew...  She was inconsolable...  The visit stayed with me throughout the day.  I was doing all I could for Mom; but, what could I take away from her experience at 86?
 
I dug out Just for Today!
 
 
Just for today, I will try to live through this day only,
and not tackle my whole life problem at once.
I can do something for twelve hours
that would appall me if I felt that I had to
keep it up for a lifetime.
 
 
Just for today, I will be happy.  This assumes to
be true what Abraham Lincoln said, that
"most folks are as happy as they make up
their minds to be."
 
 
Just for today, I will try to strengthen my mind.
I will study.  I will learn something useful.
I will not be a mental loafer.  I will read
something that requires effort, thought and
concentration.
                     
 
Just for today, I will adjust myself to what is,
and not try to adjust everything to my own
desires.  I will take my "luck" as it comes,
and fit myself to it.
 
 
Just for today, I will exercise my soul in three
ways:  I will do somebody a good turn, and
not get found out.  I will do at least two
things I don't want to -- just for exercise.
 
 
Just for today, I will not show anyone that my feelings are
hurt; they may be hurt, but today I will not
show it.
 
 
Just for today, I will be agreeable.  I will look
as well as I can, dress becomingly, talk low,
act courteously, criticize not one bit, not
find fault with anything and not try to improve
or regulate anybody except myself.
 
 
Just for today, I will have a program.  I may not
follow it exactly, but I will have it.  I will
save myself from two pests:  hurry and indecision.
 
 
Just for today, I will have a quiet half hour all
by myself, and relax.  During this half hour,
sometime, I will try to get a better perspective
of my life.
 
 
Just for today, I will be unafraid.  Especially I
will not be afraid to enjoy what is beautiful,
and to believe that as I give to the world, so
the world will give to me.
 
 
I thank the person who wrote this ... for the facilitator who handed it to me ... and,  for the reminder that I have the freedom to choose what I do with my days ... to reach out to others and to complete the work that the Lord has for me to do on this earth.
 
Hopefully, you too will print this out and keep it in a special box, reviewing it every now and then...
 
Always remember you are loved and prayed for ... YA YOU!!
 
Miss Dottie
 
PS  There is a Psalm that I always say to calm my nerves...Psalm 46:10
"Be still, and know that I am God."
Be still, and know that I am.
Be still, and know that.
Be still and know.
Be still.
Be.
 


            
 




 



1 comment:

  1. Oh my goodness--that will be hard to do!! I will definitely print it out and post it on the refrigerator. My whole family can benefit from this inspiring life guide.

    Love you~
    Jane

    ReplyDelete