Friday, October 26, 2012

Something so simple can bring the biggest smile

October 26, 2012

Good Morning, Readers!  It's a chilly day in Central Texas.  Temperatures dropped during the night giving way to some light rain showers.  The wind is blowing and leaves are tumbling from the trees.  Looks like I will need to dig out my sweater today!

With all the seriousness of the election, the economy, and other troubling things going on, I decided that I needed to have a day that I focused on smiling and laughing....  My FB friend, Marian, got me going this morning with a funny photo she had posted.

Psalm 47:1 Clap your hands, all peoples! Shout to God with loud songs of joy!

I am enjoying my Woman Cave aka the cottage so much.  It's been like having a play house!  I mentioned in one of my previous blogs that I decided to have an Autumn Tree.  I put the final touches on it yesterday and got the biggest grin.  I took some photos of the different ornaments and added the topper.  My neighbor brought over some additional ornaments ... I think she is getting my decorating bug!  She sat down and we chatted for a few minutes and she kept looking at the tree and commenting on the different decorations.  She said I was a big kid!!  Now, that's the truth!!

“The men whom I have seen succeed best in life have always been cheerful and hopeful men, who went about their business with a smile on their faces, and took the changes and chances of this mortal life like men, facing rough and smooth alike as it came.” ~ Charles Kingsley

There is one ornament that gives me a BIG grin ...  the Raccoon!  His little beady eyes, black nose, and bushy tail make him a stand-out!  I also found some squirrel ornaments.  I have a feeling that I'll be on the lookout far into the future for more "Autumn" ornaments!  I've found birds, nests, piks of bright leaves and deer antlers.  Michael likes to come out and gaze at the tree too.  He said he wished we could have one inside the little casa too.

“Joy is the serious business of Heaven.” ~ C. S. Lewis
 
My friend, Beverly, and I are about as alike as black and white.  Our friendship has helped me to be accepting of her just as she is and, I know, she is accepting of me.  She has a very strong personality and there are times when I need to tell her "Whoa!"  I listen to her, then go about my business.  I guess I could get defensive and all bent out of shape but what good would that do?

Romans 15:13 May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, so that by the power of the Holy Spirit you may abound in hope.

I have started thinking about Christmas ... I know, I know, it's not Thanksgiving yet!  I walked down into the storm shelter yesterday and saw all the tubs of goodies just waiting to be opened.  I wanted to do something different for the cottage so I have a notebook in my purse to record ideas I see when I am out and about...

Philippians 1:3-5 I thank my God in all my remembrance of you, always in every prayer of mine for you all making my prayer with joy, because of your partnership in the gospel from the first day until now.

 
Sometimes, when you look at the whole picture, you lose sight of the individual occurrences that helped make the journey a memorable one.  It's like that with my Autumn Tree.  From my perch on the couch, it looks fun and whimsical ... when I examine each ornament, I remember who gave it to me and the time it was placed on the tree.  Don't you think life is like that?  Sometimes we forget the journey seeing only the end result.

I decided I would name the different ornaments for people who have been instrumental in my life.  I have a living Autumn Tree filled with those that have given me smiles when I had no smiles inside me...

The world always looks brighter from behind a smile. ~Author Unknown

As you journey through your day, I hope that you will take notice of the simple things in life that make you smile ... the simple things that make you laugh out loud.

There are little trees at Walmart and Target; maybe you could create your own Autumn Memory Tree.  I promise, you'll not regret it and it will make you LOL!!

Miss Dottie & Granddaughter Katrina
 invite you to have a LOL kind of day!!



1 comment:

  1. I remember a day not to long ago when I was feeling kind of down. As I sat on the couch in the living room I took a moment to look around. Our house has a very open floor-plan, so you can see the whole house from most areas. Anyway, I realized that the paint, decorations, pictures, etc. were all works of my hands. You are so right! -the painstaking process had resulted in transforming a house into a home. Providing a place of peace and comfort put a smile to my face. My kids can study, have fun with friends and I know my husband is proud of his home. When people come over they love to look at the pictures and my newest decorations. Life is fun....taking time to reflect is important!

    ReplyDelete